Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA M20 Start up

Hi I am very close to finish my M20 restoration and yet I have learned a lot about this bike, with many thanks to the people on this forum, I have never started a bike up like this before. I would like to know the correct start up order and the purpose of the mag cable, and the exhaust lifter cable. Thank you for your help.

email (option): bjsullivan23@ymail.com

Re: BSA M20 Start up

G'day Barrett,
Set the advance lever slightly retarded from full advance, there are two type on magnetos that can be fitted to the M20, tight wire advance or slack wire advance. to find out what you have look at the points end of the mag if the cable enters from the right side of the mag it's a tight wire and the lever is pulled towards the rider for advance, if the cable enter from the left it's slack wire advance and the lever pushed away from the rider for advance.
If you have a choke fitted close it.
Tickle the carb by depressing the plunger on top of the float bowl for about two or three seconds only, don't want to flood it.
Standing on the right side of the bike rotate the engine with the kick start lever until the lever come to a stop, the piston is now approaching TDC on the compression stroke. Use the exhaust valve lifter to lift the valve and rotate the engine with the kick starter to just after TDC.
Kick start the engine with a good healthy swing on the lever, be sure to let the lever swing all the way through it's travel, do not open the throttle until the engine fires otherwise it will kick back.

Good luck.

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1