Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another rescue? well, we'll see - '41 M20 in Devon

Hello all. I'm Rick from Exeter and I've just purchased a sorry looking M20 dug out of a barn in Devon. I don't doubt it'll need a bit of fettling but I'm hoping to get to Normandy next year....

Frame number WM20 34310 with lots of layers of paint: red lead, grey primer, dark Army green, Army Sand, Bright green, black, magnolia (I kid you not).

Engine has no numbers (as far as I can see...) and is also painted. Engine doesn't turn over but gearbox appears to have gears and neutral. Carb and dynamo missing, and head has had virtually every fin smashed off.

Missing: headlamp, speedo, front stand/guard stay, all of the pannier/rack gear, rear mudguard aft section and numberplate, toolbox.....

But the girder forks are there, front guard, frame appears all in one piece, bash plate, petrol tank (with cap) modified for a Vokes filter, wheels, gearbox, primary drive and casings, seat frame, oil tank (no cap), battery carrier, upper chain guard. So probably 80% complete.

The previous owner brought it back from Cyprus many years ago but never got round to restoring it and decided to sell. I happened to be in the right place....

First off; are the bits missing reasonably available? Do Russell Motors still keep a good range of parts?

I'll post some photos when I can. Promise not to laugh!
Rick

Re: Another rescue? well, we'll see - '41 M20 in Devon

Hi Rick,Rick,welcome to the forum.Great to hear another gem is to be re introduced to society.Russels are good for almost every part except tinware and speedos and
cylinder heads,and pannier frames and accessories.Ebay and jumbles turn up some
decent stuff,I presume you are going for the full military resto.Jan on this site does replica rear carriers,mounting frames etc,pannier racks search bsa wd on ebay
dynamo shouldn't be a problem.Carb you will have to make up your mind if a second hand one is trustworthy ,new will set you back £225.00.Mudguard stays are pretty illusive,although there is an Indian outfit doing a full set on ebay.There is a general consensus that most of the Indian made parts are crap,but the mudguards
and stays ,well some don't seem to be too bad.
Speedo,if you can find an original,and they are out there,new ,expect to pay
£200 +.The beauty with this site is there is a bottomless pit of free advice
and information,readily available to one goal.Your engine number should be on the near side ,above the breather pipe,below the cylinder barrel.Post it up and you will find out more info.Bear in mind,most bikes had at least one overhaul,so your motor may not match the frame. There is info on a key card system which some members will post up for you.
good luck,hope this helps
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hi Rick,heres a bit of visual to get you started,i am not suggesting you buy these
you will have to do some homework.
carb 281146161806
speedo 281140211373 already sold, visual info
mudguard stays 251307658500
tool box 300942726649
also ask in the parts for sale section,people sometimes have extras and surplus
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Thanks Rick!

I'll check all your data out. I also own a '48 rigid Matchless so some things might be similar (dynamo/carb/speedo?).

It's early days - I only looked at the bike in daylight properly yesterday.

I have been recommended to seek out Ian Wright at Bere Alston (same one as on here I presume) but I really need to dismantle to assess what's ok and what' not.

Can I post photos on this forum? Or is there another area for photos?

Rick Howell

email (option): rick.howell@talktalk.net

Hi Rick,

You need a (free) account at a website like www.photobucket.com You upload your photos there and with each photo a few codes are given. For this forum you need the HTML code. You copy and past this HTML code in your forum post and the photo is added.

Looking forward to see that bike.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Rick

Congratulations on buying a military M20, they are pretty popular here in Devon with lots around including my two at Cullompton, one at Silverton, 3 in Buckfastleigh, and as you say Ian is at Bere Alston to name just a few so if you need some local help we aren't far away.

And if you are free next weekend, 17th-18th there will be at least two on display in North Devon at the Cobbaton Combat Museum VJ weekend.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Sadly,I won't be there though.. ...I've got a few more weeks sat on my arse before this broken ankle goes away..(so I was told at the hospital)..
However, mail me off forum Rick if you want any advice/a chat about M20s...I'll be more useful in a few weeks regarding parts...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1