Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crank case metal.

Hi Guys.
I removed the old paint from my crank case, timing cover and gearbox cos I want the 'exposed' metal look, but its all a bit scratchy and dull now.
Whats the best way to get a smoother, brighter finish on it??
Not looking for perfection but something that will pass !
Richard

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Re: Crank case metal.

I've had success using a stainless steel BarBeque cleaning brush, the fine wire type. Takes off old oxidation and doesn't scratch the underlying surface.

Or try a scotch pad or wire wool

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I guess some fine wet & dry then and a lot of elbow grease ?
Thanks

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Hi Richard,
If you want a smoother finish, I'd try the fine wet-n-dry but use paraffin (Mineral spirits? Varsol?) as a lubricant instead of elbow grease. I've found the elbow grease clogs up the paper rather quickly
Wire wool or very fine brillo-scothchbrite pads work well too, used wet as above. The wet-n-dry and Scotchbrite does tend to provide a smoother surface finish though, rubbing off some of the surface bumps and casting texture.
Though I prefer the original texture comes up best with the BBQ brush method, I found some really good brushes locally ( fine stainless-wire bristles, NOT the coarser type or brass bristled versions) for only a couple bucks. Some of these brushes have a scraper metal piece at the leading edge that has to be removed and smoothed over or you will scratch and gouge areas that you don't want scratched or gouged.

Nieuwe pagina 1