Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dutch army KM21 ready for the road again

Nearly 3 years ago I bought this BSA, or what was left of it. It was located near the Tsjech border and turned out to be a former Dutch army KM21 which was most likely captured and used by the German army.

photo 109BCCE7491D442599BDF1E3E5E69EB7-1.jpg
 photo AA2EDACCC0DE4099A6C1ADF27C620161.jpg

It had an industrial made steel plate on the magneto platform so that a Bosch Magdyno could be fitted and the battery carrier was changed to accept a Bosch battery. The left-front side of the tank was badly dented and the front-frame tube was bend so it probably had an accident which would explain the lack of forks and wheels. I decided to bring it back to Dutch army specification with the green colour and Lucas equipment but sometimes tempted to paint it grey and fit Bosch again....

photo SAM_5973_zps7c8a44bc.jpg
 photo SAM_5976_zps6d6aa859.jpg

I didn't go for the factory fresh look and decided to use no filler so the marks from the past can be seen. The original engine and early gearbox is still on the bench but ready for installation. There are a few rare parts still missing and need some markings on the tank but it can now be ridden and yet waiting for the license.

It was a great time restoring it and have found lots of help from forummembers by supplying information and parts. All those wonderful wartime pictures has been a great reference and all the generously given technical support on this forum is really amazing and surely has increased the level of this restoration.

So thank you all and keep going on !! [ ]

Michiel / Netherlands

Re: Dutch army KM21 ready for the road again

Well done Michiel. It's fantastic that you've built a 'living' motorcycle from those parts and all the more interesting as there can't be many of these ex-Netherlands M21s.

These bikes really set the scene for BSA's large scale deliveries to the War Office.

I think I see a little German military history still welded to the rear carrier? Very nice bike, I really like these early BSA's very much.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

What are these little things Henk...? Can't see with my untrained eyes

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet'dot'nl

Is it the 2 small brackets on each side?...

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

It looks great, and what a wonderful return to it's former glory. Well Done!

Nice piece of work with original side stand and more nice details like the big petrol tank ' nicely done Gr. Theo Schipper

email (option): oldbikes@kpnmail.nl

Don't know much of BSA.... but this one looks almost as good as a 16H!
Bloody great job!

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

well done Michiel. it's wonderful to see the development. hope you have loads of happy riding. all best peter

well done Michiel. it's wonderful to see the development. hope you have loads of happy riding. all best peter

Nice looking bike, I like the used look....

Thanks for your kind words!!

The small side stand was taken off and sold separately just before I bought the bike. So I looked for years and emptied many boxes on those nice British jumbles and just a few months back I bought a box of rusty parts from a small jumble here in Holland, only because it was cheap. When I emptied it at home I just couldn't believe my eyes! lucky me. And when fitted I found out that this tiny stand is more than a gimmick because the bike stands very firm on it and it is very handy.

The 2 pieces of metal welded on both side of the carrier could be a German modification to fit their pannierbags. And the original engine, which is not fitted yet, has some interesting modifications. (I have posted them before):

A steel inspection hole cover and a oilpump cover machined from solid :

photo DSC02420.jpg

and the magdyno spacer for fitting a Bosch unit with the 4 halfrounds to fit nicely on the BSA crankcase :

photo DSC08321.jpg

These modifications are looking industrial made so they must have captured a fairly large amount of these (nearly new then) KM21's in may 1940 to make it worthwhile and had a few other ideas on the design.....

If anyone have seen similar parts on an engine please let know.

Regards, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Nice bike Michiel.
Just curious, what's on the brass plate on the toolbox, is that some sort of contract plate or was the plate later added?

Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter, It is a Dutch written brass plate with some technical details and the frame and enginenumbers and it also states that the owners is DvD, which could stand for: Departement van Defensie. But not really sure if that is correct.

So I assume it was fitted at the factory or in the Netherlands when the bike arrived in 1939.

photo SAM_6047_zps529d9166.jpg

Fortunatly the numbers on the brassplate still matches the frame and enginenumber

Regards, Michiel

Nieuwe pagina 1