Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum piccy

Nice early BSA with the oil pressure indicator and also a dipswitch. A previous post said dipswitch's weren't on wd bikes?? It looks a very old picture to me. I have a dipswitch on mine, can I now have a go when the rivet counters kick off!!

Re: Forum piccy

What about the timing cover with the magdyno pinion inspection plug on such an early engine? Would that cause disqualification by the rivet counters?

I think you'll find the timing cover plug is an early (civy) feature, along with lots of others. Valanced guard, large tank, 8" headlamp, oil tell tale, rubber parts, ally tappet cover etc. All to be replaced by cheaper and more utilitarian WO specifications. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Tom Hopkins
What about the timing cover with the magdyno pinion inspection plug on such an early engine? Would that cause disqualification by the rivet counters?

Hi Tom, I think this could be another RAF M20 so the spec is going to be different to the Army, which means it may not be early.

Rob, Rivet counter and proud of it

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Re: Website piccy

Rob Miller
Tom Hopkins

Hi Tom, I think this could be another RAF M20 so the spec is going to be different to the Army, which means it may not be early.

Rob, Rivet counter and proud of it

Sorry I was looking at the forum picture, I see now you are talking about the website picture which must be 1940 or very late 1939.

Is the tool box catch the prewar civy version which you open with a screwdriver or thin coin or the pressed type with the raised ridge

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

That's the slotted fastener...By the way Rob...Did you sell your early petrol tank in the end?....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The clue is in the contract number roughly painted on the front mudguard - C5610 delivered from February 1940. This one doesn't look completely new but presumably it still only has the census number on the drive side and some machines from this contract began to display them on the number plates.

I'd say that it looks bang on for a 1940 WM20 produced once the MT110 had been standardised.

DME Circular B.141 dated 12/5/1941 detailed the "Fitting of new headlamp mask and removal of dipper switch" so dip switches seem to have remained present until mid 1941 on bikes still using the paper blackout mask at least, but they may have been discontinued earlier on new production.

Rik (Also proud to be a rivet-counter)

Nieuwe pagina 1