Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless Clutch Inner Problem

I was on my way out to the Woodhall Spa 1940s Festival on Saturday, when suddenly, no drive, engine still running, but no drive. I missed the event, but there was a good smattering of bikes, a Triumph, Royal Enfield, a couple of G3L's and even an M20, but not my G3. I've now stripped it down and it turns out that the clutch inner is devoid of all its splines. The main shaft is thankfully OK, but the clutch inner is now scrap. Luckily I've got a couple of spares under my bench, so the old G3 is back on the road again, but I'm a bit surprised this could have happened, has anyone else ever experienced this?

Re: Matchless Clutch Inner Problem

Hope it makes it to lincoln on saturday

I'll see how I get on! At least if it doesn't make it I'll be near enough to push it the rest of the way.

This is not an unkown thing to happen, it happened to me once as I set out for a trip to France, luckily I was only 1/4 mile from home.

no telling why, nor any warning. My clutch hub was only 50 years old, they don't make them like they used to.

That surprised me too Ken, no warning, no bang, bumps or nasty noises, just a nice smooth, no-fuss, controlled break down at the side of the road. At least I'm not on my own and it's happened to you too.

Many years ago this happened to my friend George on his WNG Ariel when we were in Normandy. He cut up a spark plug spanner using a junior hacksaw and repaired his clutch. Anyone else would have given up and gone home. We made him a metal called the George Cross and he is very proud of it. Cheers, John

Nieuwe pagina 1