Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
engine oil pressure

I disconnect the return oil pipe from the oil tank, put a piece of garden hose on it and then in a bottle.
I noticed that there is no difference in the flow with regard to the rpm of the engine.
Is this normal There is however pressure at the end of the garden hose
I removed the anti wet sumping valve like some of you suggest

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Re: engine oil pressure

My experience on my 3 dry sump engine bikes is that the more the engine revs the faster the oil flows out of the return pipe, with an instant effect.

The return side of the pump is larger than the inlet, therefore the return will always contain a mixture of oil and air. As the revs rise the inlet will deliver more oil therefore the return will also deliver more oil and air, however there will be a noticeable lag between this as the oil circulates and drains to the sump.

These gear pumps are not designed to reach high pressures. Plunger type pumps as in Triumphs use a higher pressure because of the design of their big end and main bearings.

Triumph and Ariel use the plunger pumps even on bikes with roller big end and mains. I guess it is the shell bearings and bronze bushes on the post war models that create the high pressure that the plunger pumps can deliver. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for the input and explanation. My test with a garden hose was not that accurate The pipe in the tank has two small holes and now there is an increase of oil flow. Not much, so next step is the oil pump as Ian suggest last week.

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1