Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
USA M20s project

Here is a progress update for the Forum. July 30, 2013

I can only pick up the truck this coming Monday morning. August 5th.

I have been bustin butt all day. Having a home brew at the moment. It's 10:30 Monday night, and I just got outta the shower. BK bacon burger gut bombs for supper, but boy are they good!

The least expensive way for me to get them from Florida to Michigan was to go to the Toyota dealer and rent a pickup truck. Unlimited mileage, 1 week (7 days) for $350.00!!!! It gets 20 miles per gallon, so that is pretty
darn good also.

A friend gave me a piece of crap trailer which I have just finished welding back together. Tuesday I put in new wheel bearings and deck. I'm adding plenty of eyebolts so I can properly secure everything. Two in the truck, two on the trailer. Parts bike in the truck.

I have home stays with Contra dance friends of mine in any of a dozen or more cities along the way. Whilst in Florida, I will stay with Suanne, a dancer whom I have never met. I'm taking a day and going sailing with her. She's gorgeous, my age and single.

Never in my life would I have thought about doing this. It just happened.

But, It would not have happened without the Forum and all the great guys on it!

Thanks to all who have helped, especially Bruce and Jeff.

Cheers all

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Re: USA M20s project

That made good reading. .. don't forget to pick up the bikes though

Robb.
That sounds like a brilliant adventure- I hope all goes well and you have a great time.
This forum and the Norton owners club have both inspired me to some amazing trips.

Sounds like the script of a good movie! Be sure to take lots of pics and notes along the way, good luck!

OK, the trailer is welded, decked, new sides made, eyebolts installed. Tows straight and true.

Tomorrow I make ramps and make sure the lights work.

I get to stay with a dear friend (Donna) in Knoxville TN (10-11 hour drive) and go dancing with her.

14 hours till I leave!

Robb,

So the Quest begins..

Don't be lead astray on your journey....! A Michigan boy could become transfixed by the Siren's song and run aground when put into harms way of that easy Florida lifestyle....!

Best of Luck and Safe Travels.

JDE

email (option): teladelujo@ msn.com

Thanks John!

It's Tuesday night, 10:30 or so and I am at Suannes house. In the morning I shall collect the bikes.

Ya Hoo!!

Don't forget to save some energy, you'll need it to load the bikes in the morning!

Hi,did a bit of checking last night,Grand Rapids to Melbourne Florida is a total of 1333.3 miles.Thats an epic trek,2666 miles at 20 to the gallon is 133 gallons
of fuel.Robb you are a hero,I hope your efforts are worthwhile.
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hi All,

Many thanks for the encouraging words. I've put on 1,450 miles so far.
The bikes are loaded, the trailer is holding up well.

I leave for Chickamauga, Georgia this AM, about 9 or so.
Chickamuga is home to a horrific Civil War battle and a National site.
I have a dancer friend who lives there.

Pictures later when I can.

This trip has been an absolute blast.

Cheers

Hi Robb, Good to hear you have them secured!, you never know if the seller decide to pull back the excrement as we say over here.

Must be a wonderful feeling riding with five of these bikes behind your back.

Looking forward to the pictures, Regards, Michiel / NL

Hi Michiel,

All sorts of weird thoughts crossed my mind as I travelled there with 12,000 USD in my pocket.

Gerrard really was sorry to have to sell them. He's a good guy who was going to restore them.

Anyway, I'm on the way home now, having spent Thursday night in Chickamauga, GA where a huge Civil War battle was fought.

Things are going well, so I am really happy. You guys should hear the comments. "Are they Indians or Harleys?" How old are they? What's a BSA?
Do they run? How fast are they?

One elderly guy knew exactly what they are as he "borrowed" one over there. LOL!!

I have one frame that is not WD prefixed, and a rear section with the welded on field stand lug. Anyone got any spare vallanced fenders? I'll swap some parts for them. (forks) I also have a couple of REME tags!!

Re: USA M20s project HOME AT LAST!!!

Hi All,

This was a trip of a lifetime!!

The gorgeous girl is Suanne a contra dance friend of mine.
In back, as you can see, are the bikes. I stayed two days with her
on Seabird Island, Port Orange, FL.

The seller Gerard is a great guy, and was really grieving selling the bikes.

I have just awoken form a 4 hour nap having arived home at 4:30 PM Aug 10th.

There were no driving incidents which is great!!!! I have not compiled costs yet(natch) as I am still buzzing from road vibration.

The two in the trailer run. I call them "shiney paint" and rusty fenders.

I will give you details tomorrow. Rusty fenders is supposed to be the quickest. It has a speedo, a REME tag, and maybe orig grips under the tape. Neither bike has been messed with. I do believe it has a legit Florida title too. I have to check the numbers.

Not a lot of spares really. Add a tank, tool box, front fenders and controls and you'd have a decent bike to build from the parts pile. Jury is out on that......

I stayed with friends all the way there and back. The only expense was some food and coffee. I took Suanne out for a nice dinner in Florida, and Judie in Chickamauga out also. Damn near took her dog home as she is moving.

More later. Tomorrow I unload and return the truck.

Robb has asked me to post some pictures. with the added captions. Ron

All loaded up.
 photo ALLLOADED_zpsf1dda6cb.jpg
Atlanta traffic
 photo ATLANTATRAFFICA_zps234b307f.jpg
PrimerB
 photo PRIMERB_zps0365498e.jpg
Camo and primer loaded
 photo CAMOANDPRIMERLOADED_zpsfea85b4d.jpg
Eat your hearts out
 photo ROBBANDSUANNED_zpsc49508d9.jpg
Rusty and shiny
 photo RUSTYANDSHINEY_zpsc5ac86e5.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Absolutely brilliant Robb, I am truly impressed. They will make a film about that road trip one day. Anyone got any suggestions for the title?

How about.

The Great Escape.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Three cheers for Robb!

That's quite a haul.

Can't wait for details.

Jeff

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

Nieuwe pagina 1