The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help with wm20 Consignment number please

Hi Guy,

Just purchased my first BSA wm20 dated 1944

I wish to add it's consignment number if it has one to the tank and wondered if someone could tell me how i might obtain this please.
Is there also away of finding out any military history etc and it's life in civvy street?

Engine Number WM204047
Frame Number WM20104060

Looking forward to meeting some of you one day.

Many thanks, Paul

email (option): eastwood007@ntlworld.com

Re: Help with wm20 Consignment number please

hi paul your frame number Wm2014060 seems to be from contract C5610 (REF21)
one of 4000 produced in 1939-1940 to chilwell.
i cant work out the C number at the moment as my wife is out...
some of thees other good chaps on hear will work it out for you and may give you more info.
thanks barry

email (option): mrsbfuller@hotmail.co.uk

hi paul, def not 39-40 as its got 6 digits after wm20, its from army contract no s2603. One of a batch of 8000 where to who knows, but your C no for petrol tank is 5214760.
P.S
dated between 3.3.43/28.7.45

Hello Paul, welcome to the forum.

I think Barry has missed out a digit, WM20 104060 by my calculation is from contract S2603 and would have left the factory with the tank serial number C5214760

Rob

P.S Snap

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

whoops!! sorry about that. i was distracted by sanding down a bike part while drinking a nice cup of tea and looking through me C.J. ORCHARD & S.J. MADDEN book

email (option): mrsbfuller@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you Guys for the info, most helpful.
I'm a little confused now by the Order number beginning with S and also the Consignment number.
Do these follow each when the order is placed?
How do i find out to which service it was intended for i.e Army, Navy or Airforce?
Can anyone shed any more light on this matter please.
I like to get things right so anymore help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks again, Paul

Hello Paul

Your M20 was purchased for the Army, but on occasion vehicles were moved from one service to another, some BSA C10s were even passed on the Post Office during the war.

Early in the war vehicles had a registration number as well as a serial, but the registration number was dropped and the serial was used instead.

The serial numbers are used by all Army vehicles with a prefix at the front depending on the type of vehicle so C4185782 would be the last Norton Big4 of contract C6831 and L4185783 would be the first Austin 3ton 4x2 GS of contract V3844.

C motorcycles
M cars and light vehicles
L large trucks
ect, ect

RAF Motorcycles and other vehicles have a serial number beginning RAF but there doesn't seem to be any written evidence left to show how they were issued, and I think Royal Navy vehicles began RN.

To confuse the issue further Canadian vehicles sometimes have an extra C so a car could be CM12345 and a motorcycle CC12345

Contract numbers start with a variety of letters, early war motorcycles usually start with a C later war contracts an S but I don't know why.

I would recommend getting a copy of Chris Orchard and Steve Madden's book British Forces Motor Cycles 1925-45.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all your help.
Got a Stencil made up for £4.90

Still would like to know more about it's service and after the war but i sure things might turn-up one day.

Regards,
Paul

Nieuwe pagina 1