Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum picture BSA M20 combination

It looks like 400-18 tyres fitted?

The spares list for the RAF contract M20 combination shows the part number for the spring as 66-5150, the later war Army contract M20 spares lists say 66-5153, was the difference a larger diameter wire used for the spring or does it have more coils?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Re: Forum picture BSA M20 combination

HMMMM? If it's anything like the Big4 over the 16H. A heavier gauge of wire.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

A bigger gauge wire might have required a different set of spring scrolls...did those part numbers change as well?...The scrolls are pretty 'snug' in the standard spring...
Maybe its 'major' diameter was increased or the pitch of the winding in the center altered to give an extra coil, but at the same overall length?
Fitting a longer spring than the 10" 'solo' spring would be quite a battle I would have thought....Ian

Hi Rob, nothing to do with the BSA combo, are you going to the West Somerset Railway rally this weekend,

Colin H
Hi Rob, nothing to do with the BSA combo, are you going to the West Somerset Railway rally this weekend,

Hi Col, no its too far.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

to far for you, or the M20 see you at the next club meeting

Re: Forum picture BSA M24

This latest forum picture appears to be a 1939 M24 Goldstar ... anyone know what the story is or what the No.72 is?

The other bike is a Matchless G3. But I can't make out the C number on either.
Only a few M24's ordered by the WO. But I expect a few more where impressed.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The census number on the front mudguard looks to be a six-digit serial starting C6***** which would make it a civilian impressed machine rather than part of a contract.

These were generally RASC rear echelon machines and the '72' serial with no corps or GHQ bars probably indicates a Divisional Supply Column, RASC. It's difficult to see but background would be red / green diagonal.

I'm not sure about the Formation sign. Could it be the Hampshire hog of Hampshire County Division ?...The County divisions were in being for most of 1941 as anti-invasion HQs and were later replaced. 1941 looks about right for the photo.

Thanks Rik, i wonder how they got on with that 10TT carb.
Some BSA pics show a more suitable Carb as (i believe) an option but that looks like a 10TT to me which backs up the "impressed" theory.

Nieuwe pagina 1