Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Website RAF WM20 Blackout mask.

Hi Folks,
The blackout mask fitted to the RAF WM20 is that a common different style?
I have several the same in my shed, I thought they were off a civilian car or truck (lorry as you English blokes call them)? Are they exclusive to the air force vehicles?
cheers Dave.J.

email (option): jamfam@dragnet.com.au

Re: Website RAF WM20 Blackout mask.

Henk WM20 2415
I wouldn't mind finding one of these for my 8" headlamp.

You have mail!

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Hi Henk,
I have just had a look at mine, and it is flat on the surrounds too.
It would probably fit an 8 inch. let me know if you want me to send you a photo of one.

cheers Dave. J.

That looks like a rubber cable tie holding the brake cable to the fork leg...and it has a dipswitch...I thought they weren't fitted during the war?...Ian

This is the mask that was fitted to my co
phone
Chris

email (option): chris@mgowner.co.uk

Ian Wright
That looks like a rubber cable tie holding the brake cable to the fork leg...and it has a dipswitch...I thought they weren't fitted during the war?...Ian

Well spotted, the RAF had different specifications for some vehicles so maybe they asked for a dipswitch, but there doesn't seem to be much point with a blackout mask fitted. Rob

email (option): robmiller11(at)yahoo.co.uk

Is this an original wartime photo?

Hi Doug,

Yes it is, I have 3 of them. Send me an email and I'll send you them if you want.

Jan has scanned them at the Imperial War Museum a few days ago.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Jan will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the image comes from the IWM's 'Ministry of Supply - Kidbrooke Collection' - Kidbrooke was a large MoS depot.

The collection appears to have been an attempt to document all vehicles ordered by MoS from the late 1920s onwards but they don't appear to be in any particular order and there are some oddities.

Orchard & Madden for instance include (on page 144 of the 1st edition) a picture of a 16H with box sidecar. (IWM KID 5882) This is a gloss finished machine with late-war pannier frames but civilian number plates. Most strange is the registration number - 'JXX' which is a London series commencing July 1949 !

The question is whether this (and possibly others) were a reflection of post-war orders or alterations or whether there was a practice of belatedly filling in some gaps in the collection to provide a reference source or to illustrate post-war technical literature.

The dip switch could be wartime although it surprises me to see one with a late-war fuel tank. I certainly don't think that this type of headlamp mask is illustrative of standard fitment to RAF motorcycles. Perhaps more likely one used by Civil Defence or similar and then transferred to the RAF.

Nieuwe pagina 1