Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
16H Amal 276 questions

I'm sure this has been discussed at length before but here are my questions. My Carb is set up with needle 6 and needle jet 106, is this the best sizing for the 16H? Also the top of the needle has 5 spring clip notches at the top for different height settings, mine has been clipped on the top one, is this the best setting? Lastly the bottom feed needle also has 2 spring clip notches, mine has been clipped on the lower one, is this the best setup? Everything works fine, I'm just wondering if these are the optimum settings.

Re: 16H Amal 276 questions

Sam your needle and needle jet are correct. You should have a 170 main jet. The standard position for the needle is in the middle groove. Adjust up or down to alter the running mixture. I think the top groove would give you a very weak mixture. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ok good, what about the float needle, top or bottom notch?

Sam,

Email me, and I will send you a period Amal publication about jetting and tuning.

Cheers,

Robb

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Sam I'm not sure about the float needle? I have had them with two grooves and then it's just trial and error. As long as your carb gets enough fuel and doesn't flood.....Leave it where it is. Ron

Thanks Ron, yeah it works fine on the lower groove, so I'll keep it that way.

The two grooves in the modern float needles are top groove for the old brass or copper float with the brass bow on top and the lower groove for the new plastic float which does not have the bow but has a normal throttle needle clip. If you have the older style float on the bottom groove the float will be to low and the tickler will not operate as all as it will not touch the float.
John

email (option): ukcarbs@hotmail.com

Ah that answers that one then. I wondered why my new 276 M20 carb from Amal had two grooves in the float needle. And yes, had to experiment when swapping parts around to a NOS original body that Martyn sold me....Tickler didn't reach the float!!

Thanks John.

Ron

Thanks John! I have it right then, mine is brand new with a plastic float. Bottom notch then!

Yes, correct, the modern plastic float uses the bottom groove. Regards John

email (option): ukcarbs@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1