Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help Identifying a WM20

Hi everyone. I was hoping folks here could help me identify this old BSA WM20 motorcycle and maybe give me some more info about it.

It was titled as a 1955 but the frame appears to be from ~1945 with ID# WM20 112697. It appears to be rebuild in '55 as can be seen in the stamped Base tag.

I wasn't sure if I found the engine number yet. But I tried to photograph everything.

The bike does kick over and will fire up. I need to find a gearbox cover on the clutch side, as can be seen in the photos it's broken pretty badly.

I know the tank isn't accurate to the bike, hopefully most the other parts are.

I've posted photos to my flickr here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97080540@N05/sets/72157634798743467/

Thank you in advance, seems like such a great community!

email (option): scratchdesk@gmail.com

Re: Help Identifying a WM20

Hi Nate..What have there is the makings of a military M20...
Bad bits...The handlebars, clutch and brake levers, headlamp brackets, front mudguard and stays, possibly rear mudguard, rear stays, saddle and springs are incorrect parts..As is the fuel tank (from a postwar unit construction BSA..C15/B40 etc.)
The headlamp appears to be a postwar army replacement unit.
The upper and lower chainguards, battery carrier assembly,sump guard, rear rack, pannier support tubes, pillion seat, toolbox and other bits possibly, are missing.
Good bits...It's a WD frame..You have the expensive speedo,the right oiltank,clutch casings look correct, the forks and wheels look OK..the engine looks pretty good (ie head and barrel look quite good) and various other bits and pieces are the correct ones...
So to summarise it looks like a 'doable' project but you're going to have to do some more research, search for parts (many of which are available in good replica) and spend some more money...How much depends entirely on how good you want it mechanically, cosmetically and how correct you want its specification...
The 66-63 number on the crankcase is the part number for replacement crankcases/engine...this was most likely done by the army and is not uncommon...
The number on the other side of the engine is the one that matters most...Ian

Thank you Ian, that's a huge help. I'm assuming I missed the numbers for the engine, I'll have to have another look once I get home.

I haven't decided if I want to restore it or just get it running well and scoot around town on it.

I'll certainly be doing more research. It also came with the original Drivers Handbook (pretty worn) and a modern reprint of the repair manual.

I'll have to get that gearbox cover replaced then I can get to seeing how well it runs, pretty excited to get it going. I assume I should post a wanted Ad in the buy/ sell forum?

Hi Nate,depending where you are,Dave Plumb may be able to weld repair that casing.
he has repaired worse than that one.You will pay quite a lot for a replacement
although i think Russell motors are listing them new
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Well that's a coincidence .....i just came in from examining a gearbox cover in workshop, an unpolished original WD finish with boot grove on clutch pillar (so early WD). i was deciding whether to hoard it or sell it. then i saw your damaged one, but im in UK & I'm guessing you're in Bloomingdale IL :D

Cycle Fred
Well that's a coincidence .....i just came in from examining a gearbox cover in workshop, an unpolished original WD finish with boot grove on clutch pillar (so early WD). i was deciding whether to hoard it or sell it. then i saw your damaged one, but im in UK & I'm guessing you're in Bloomingdale IL :D

Hah, yes, near Bloomingdale in IL Mr Fred. Is that a part you'd consider selling then? If not I could always reach out about getting mine repaired but then that'd be shipping costs overseas twice, lol. Thanks!

Well i will do a couple of shots of it for you later & mail them to you.

Cycle Fred
Well i will do a couple of shots of it for you later & mail them to you.

Great thank you sir!

I need a cover too.

Ian Wright

The 66-63 number on the crankcase is the part number for replacement crankcases/engine...this was most likely done by the army and is not uncommon...
The number on the other side of the engine is the one that matters most...Ian

Well I pulled the bike out again and took a few more photos that I uploaded to the flickr account. The other side of the engine was marked: WM20 6249 and either B190 S105 or B190 SI05. The 6249 corresponds with the rebuild stamp on the other side of the case.

Thanks!

I have all the parts you need
I,m in Texas

email (option): 49hrd@sbcglobal.net

Hi Laurent and Nate,

I'm in Michigan myself. I have a great friend in Texas, Dr. Bruce, and in Connecticut, Dr. Jeff. Between the four or more of us, I think we can build up some nice bikes. Several guys in Chicago.

It would be great top meet up sometime anywhere central. I hear there is a huge vintage meet somewhere in Iowa that most of us could make.

Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1