Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
breather

Here is another one :

Why is there a valve in the crankcase breather ?

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Re: breather

The crankcase breather has a valve so that after initially pumping out air on the downward stroke of the piston it is not simply sucked back in as the piston rises again..The valve helps to maintain a partial vacuum in the crankcases once the engine is running, thus reducing the amount of air the breather has to deal with....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian, makes sense. I have always wondered about that.

email (option): pvlietstra@gmail.com

The same here, Ian. Furthermore I led the breather tube into the chaincase, so just like those Japanese bikes, there will be no oil under the bike, .

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Clever...consolidating all your larger oil distribution points in one spot, so when you stop, instead of a random distribution, you deposit a single puddle of reasonable size.

My engine skid plate used to perform that function for my machine, but I staunched the engine case and transmission case, so now I just have the breather and primary droppings to contend with. I like your idea, but am sure someone will point out the potential issues of crankcase gasses contaminating the primary case.

JDE

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Ah Ha!

My great grandfather Nigel Fenwick strikes again!
(He held the contract with all British Motor Manufacturers to install oil leaks) His wife, Nelly Bly put smoke into the wires for Joe Lucas Sr back in the say.

I piped mine to the chain case to replenish the oil there.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1