Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stamps

Recently we had the Dutch Liberation stamps featuring some odd looking bike (a Norton, I think). I thought I'd redress the balance with a decent bike as seen below....

BSA WM20 stamps photo WWII-World-War-II-Motorcycles-s-s.jpg

Re: Stamps

Well, I never thought that I'd see 'Fat-Boy' Gort on a postage stamp ! How strange to link him to a late-war M20. It would have been more appropriate to show one without wheels on the beach at Malo-Les-Bains. He got his expeditionary force out but left 20,000 motorcycles behind !

How could I resist such a fine display piece, for about $8 US shipped, so I bought one on e-bay.
Vereker, John Standish Surtees Prendergast, sixth Viscount Gort
1886-1946
Interesting and sad tale of Viscount Gort. While highly decorated in WW1 including the VC, he had an admirable military career, despite severe criticism from Montgomery after his death. His personal life was unhappy, with a failed marriage, a daughter that died young and only son that committed suicide in 1941. Nearing the end of the Second war he was diagnosed with liver cancer and died March 31, 1946 , shortly after being awarded an English viscountcy.

I'm curious also why the connection with the M20, but then what does the Ivory Coast have anything to do with motorcycles and military leaders of WW2??

These kind of stamps are produced purely for the philately market and make the countries involved large sums of money. I think they just picked a famous leader from each country and added a bike from the same. I also noticed that in the bottom border, there appears to be another bike (is it an illustration from a model kit?)

At first I also thought the pic from the lower right was from the Tamiya kit, but looking it up it is different.
At least it's honest income. Not unlike some western African countries that seem to thrive on piracy , and deceased leaders with huge bank accounts that require secret foreign individuals to help to spirit the funds out of the national bank....

The picture on the lower right is from the Bronco 1/35 Triumph 3HW model kit.

Regards,
Peter

Nieuwe pagina 1