Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Battledress mystery

I have been given a 40 Pattern battledress blouse, which unfortunately is too small for me, but I'm intrigued to know more about it.

The blouse is supposed to have been issued to a distant relation, who was in the 8th Army, and I have found, in one of the pockets, two Operation Crusader badges, which would support this, however, the label in the jacket seems to indicate it was manufactured in the USA. Also, it appears to have been professionally shortened, presumably to accomodate a man of short stature, and the waistband is of a different shade

Was it unusual for British uniforms to be made in the USA and would alterations to supplied kit have been common practice?
Scorp.

email (option): wm20@scorpionvideo.net

Re: Battledress mystery

The 'WA' indicates 'War Aid' and relates to the US-made battledress. They seem to have been extensively used in Italy. It was greener so perhaps the belt is from a British-made BD.

It was quite common later in the war to have one's best BD tailored to a better fit. As issued, they only came in two sizes - "Too Big" or "Too Small"

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

Battledress mystery

Thanks for the information Rik, most helpful
Scorp.

email (option): wm20@scorpionvideo.net

Nieuwe pagina 1