Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
carby leak?

I have the standard 276 carby and it does not have any leaks when I put petrol in it but when I use the tickler on the float bowl it causes petrol to weep through the threads at the nut that screws onto the bottom of the carby body , is this normal? It seemed to come out there and none out the tiny hole at the top of the float bowl. Does that thread need sealant?
I have all new seals in the carb. Any advice appreciated.
Cheers,
Mike

email (option): jamik@westnet.com.au

Re: carby leak?

Mike, as long as you have the fibre washer inside the large bottom nut and it is done up tight, no amount of sealer or tape on the thread will help. I bought this one brand new from Amal a year or so ago, but have now built one with an original NOS body and new parts. You can see the little are bleed hole at the top of the thread which is where your petrol is probably leaking from. The brass nut on this one is not correct for an M20! It's just there to keep it as a complete carb until I put the correct nut on. I think there are three types of these nuts which will alter the float bowl hight. An M20 nut should have the hex right up under the threaded part, without the waisted part between. Your leak could be more to do with either float hight or just over tickling. You can alter your float bowl hight slightly by putting an extra fibre washer at the banjo between bowl and carb. Ron

photo M20226_zps7eaccebc.jpg

PS. There is a good bloke in Oz who caters for these old Brit carbs. You could do a google search, or me or someone might come up with his name.

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Mike...You shouldn't really flood the carb until petrol comes out of the little hole at the top of the float chamber...Just turn the petrol on and hold down the tickler for a couple of seconds...If that's not enough give it a little more.
You'll soon get the feel for how long you can hold the tickler down without it p*****g out petrol and how much flooding the bike needs...
What you are aiming for is as little as possible....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ron Pier

PS. There is a good bloke in Oz who caters for these old Brit carbs. You could do a google search, or me or someone might come up with his name.

The fellow's name is John Parker, He shows up here occasionally.

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

Ok thanks everyone for your help. I checked the nut on the carby body and it is the short one. So I think the problem is me rather than the carby.

Cheers

email (option): jamik@westnet.com.au

That sounds like him Matty. I can't remember his handle though to find his email. I know he visits here. Perhaps he'll read this and advertise his wares.

Ron
PS I just found this information ont tinternet.

John Parker AMAL Carburettor Parts: 12 Clark Drive Ringwood VIC 3134 Ph: (03) 98793817 (AH). Doesn't seem to be a website though AC

Hi Ron yes I do show up on this great forum a fair bit. Thanks for the compliments. Yes when you tickle the carby the petrol should come out above the big hex nut if you over tickle it. You are right their are three sizes for this nut shallow ones on M20 and most Nortons, deeper one on most other carbs and an even deeper one that I have on a Vincent body but it is the only one that I have seen in 20 years of playing with these carbs. I dont have a web site as it is a hobby to me and I like it that way. I attend three major swapmeets (Auto jumbles) in Victoria and one in South Australia. Also sell cables on Ebay under 3guns which is the closest name I could get to BSA at the time 2001. All my parts come from UK including Martyn and I have knocked back a few people over the years who have approached me and have parts at a great price that they want to sell to me, the price is right but the quality isnt.
John

John, your email address would be handy for those Antipodeans with carb problems Ron

Ron Pier
John, your email address would be handy for those Antipodeans with carb problems Ron

Here you go then, I was a bit reluctant because some people I end up sending emails back and forth twenty times when a simple phone call eventually answers it such as a left handed jetblock in a carby that is right handed.
John

email (option): ukcarbs@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1