Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Headstock Bearing

Hows the best way to remove the steering bearing from the headstock of my M20
Regards Mick W

email (option): michael.westlake@hotmail.co.uk

Re: Headstock Bearing

Ron may have some of Robbs tools still for sale he did a head race extractor tool

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Yes I still have a headstock tool left...and more on the way I think. It's nigh on impossible to remove the bearings without such a tool....unless you weld a bar across the race for drifting. Email me if you want one. Ron

photo Scan-120527-0001_zpsa7d15b92.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Mick...The head race cups have an internal thread which an extractor tool screws into. This is actually just a bar with a thread on it. Once screwed fully in you put a bar/punch into the other end of the headstock against the end of the tool and drift it out...
If you don't have the tool and you don't want to reuse the cups an alternative method is to weld a short length of bar across the cup and then use the punch and hammer from the back in the same way...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

An even simpler solution if you can weld is to run a weld around the cup in the groove where the balls run as quickly as possible.
Then, go and have a brew.

When you come back, the race will lift out without any banging at all.
Darren

email (option): dwrudd@lineone.net

Your right Darren...Let contraction do the work!..Thanks for the bearings by the way...they arrived safely....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for all the suggestions,tried Darrens way,worked first time!!! Thanks
Mick W.

email (option): michael.westlake@hotmail.co.uk

Ron Pier
Yes I still have a headstock tool left...and more on the way I think. It's nigh on impossible to remove the bearings without such a tool....unless you weld a bar across the race for drifting. Email me if you want one. Ron

photo Scan-120527-0001_zpsa7d15b92.jpg

The last of the "Jesse Net" packages is on it's way to you Ron.

Word of the day: SELL!

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1