The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bottom End rebuild advice please

Hello
I am after some bottom end rebuild advice for my WM20,
I have a new crank pin, cage, conrod, oil flinger.
I have 2 sets of fly wheels, the original ones are heavily pitted. The other set are in excellent condition however are from a post war ZM20. My question is will the second set fit the WM crankcases.
Also does anymore know of a company that will assemble the new big end, conrod and balance the flywheels in Melbourne Australia. The company I was going to use no longer works on bikes.

Is there any other info I should know, is there any benefit in lightening the flywheels etc.
Thanks Darren

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

Re: Bottom End rebuild advice please

Any weight at all removed from the flywheels improves acceleration with the greatest benefit obtained from the highest numerical gear ratio: 1st more than 2nd, high overall gear more than low etc.
Throttle response goes up, gear changes are more positive.
However: starting is more difficult since the piston wants to stop as it approaxhes TDC with no stored inertia to "carry it over". Once started, idle is less regular and prone to stalls. Any clutch drag at all kills the motor.
Wear on the primary chain is somewhat worse, in extreme cases "chain snatch" becomes very annoying - the bike can't be ridden at low speed smoothly with slipping the clutch a lot.
The critical weight is located at the greatest distance from the rotational center - the flywheel OD (which is why lightening cam wheels is a waste of time). Just reducing the diameter by 1/4" is a big change, far more than a simple comparison of the dead weight of the 2 halves before and after the mod. If the wheels were simple discs (not true), reducing the OD by 5% (7" OD becomes 6.65") reduces the moment of inertia by 28% for a weight reduction of only 10%.
Actual flywheel construction places far more weight at the rim (the critical location), so the above mod reduces inertia by more like 50%.
Guessing wrong (taking off too much) has severe consequences: the bike is a misery to start and drive at any slogging pace, and it's very difficult to fix (easier to swap the wheels out).
It will be faster accelerating in every gear at any speed than previously, but with constant engine RPM top speed is not affected.
Lighting the tire for a drag start requires more finesse and higher RPM.
Braking with the clutch still engaged improves significantly.
Maximum RPM is not affected but will be reached more quickly.

Very important: reduced flywheel inertia does not produce any more power - it simply uses less to accelerate the flywheels, leaving more available for the bike.

email (option): sales@victorylibrary.com

Dandy rebores in Dandenong?

Matty,
that is who I was going to use.
They now say they won't touch bikes.

Thanks Panic
So bacically it may accelerate a little faster, but it sounds like it causes many other problems.
How does it affect carrying a pillion or if you added a sidecar?

Darren Cartwright
Matty,
that is who I was going to use.
They now say they won't touch bikes.

Arrh rats!!!

I don't like to make a personal comment usually but I have to say it appears Panic is basing his comments largely on theory and not on practical experience...I totally disagree with much of what he says regarding the ACTUAL effects of crankshaft weight reduction in the M and B Series BSA engines. However, these misconceptions are not uncommon, one of the main worries my customers for tuned engines have is around potential effects on the engines broader 'characteristics'...
The postwar flywheels and conrod will fit OK into a wartime engine being dimensionally identical.
If you are contemplating removing material to improve performance check that the flywheels you have are steel, not cast iron. Both materials were used at different times. Steel wheels have a part number commencing with a '6'...iron wheels with a '7'...66-635(steel)..66-770(iron) for example....
Removing large amounts of weight from M20 flywheels is not really necessary unless you are radically altering the remainder of the engine...
In B Series engines particularly it is absolutely the key step to achieving substantial performance gains which won't be achieved without it...
An M20 flywheel set weighs 24lbs so taking a pound or two off it will help with pick up from a standstill but still leaves plenty of material to maintain flywheel effects at entirely practical levels and not lose any of the essential characteristics of the engine....Removing the weight largely from the flanks will help to maintain flywheel effect..Rebalancing will be necessary after the work is done....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, just out of interest, could you explain your comment below please. Could either not be lightened if you wanted to? Ron

"If you are contemplating removing material to improve performance check that the flywheels you have are steel, not cast iron"

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hello Ian
Thank you for the reply.
My flywheels are 66-635 so they are steel.
If I was to go down the track of lightening the flywheels, what other modifications do you suggest? How much weight would remove from the flywheels before other items need modification?
I don't wish to radically change the engine, but would like a little more performance in today's traffic.

I sent you an email regarding the dampner rod, did you get it?
Thanks Darren

Ron...Cast iron is less able to take the loads exerted in those conditions when the cross sectional area is reduced and they are more prone to cracking.
It is also not unheard of for them to 'burst' at high revs due to centrifugal loadings...Cast iron was widely used for single cylinder flywheels as it was a cheaper material than steel and suited to 'cooking' engine applications.
Tuners of singles in the past, and no doubt currently in cases where alternatives are not available, turned the iron wheels right down and then shrank a steel ring onto them to stop them bursting under these high centrifugal loadings....
As a general rule it is wise to avoid cast iron flywheels if extensive lightening is planned. A more moderate reduction doesn't usually result in any problems though...
Darren...Apart from the flywheels you need to concentrate on the porting and internal head modifications. There have been numerous posts here on the subject so I would try searching the forum first...
If you do machine the crank and are having it rebalanced you will need to tell the company doing it that it should have a 60% 'balance factor'..
I don't recall your email....I'll go back through my inbox though, to make sure I haven't looked at it and then forgotten to do anything ....Ian

I might be wrong here Ian, but are my M21 flywheels cast iron? I remember that you machined a small amount off them.
I still feel I'd like to drop down to a 20 tooth engine sproket if you have one. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

They probably are Ron...Like the M20 both materials were used at different times (whereas all B31/33 OHV flywheels are steel).
Some 'fleet users' and the war department specified steel flywheels and later engines (M20/21/M33/B33) used the 'unified' steel forgings part no. 66-635 which were machined with different crank throws to suit the application required....
However, at least in my experience, the M21 flywheels turn up far more frequently in cast iron than steel...I'll take a look to see what sprockets I have at the moment and give you a ring later....Ian

Really curious - whaich statements are misconceptions?

And, no, drawing from 40 years of experience - just not with M20s.

I'm not really prepared to describe engine specs in detail on a public forum whilst tuning engines is still part of my living...However, the effects you describe as a result of crankshaft weight reduction, such as difficult starting due to lack of inertia and clutch drag killing the motor are more likely to be apparent in a 4 stroke 450 Honda motocrosser or a KTM, both of which have virtually no flywheels, than they are in a BSA which has had its very heavy flywheels reduced in weight...
You mention a 10% weight reduction...That is nowhere near the amount of weight I remove from M20 flywheels when I machine them down to fit into tuned OHV motors as 'stroker' flywheels....
These motors will start first kick without any drama and will still tick over at 1000rpm (measured on an electronic rev counter)...Obviously they will not 'drive at slogging pace' in a high state of tune but surely that is not what you are after when you tune an engine?
In a sidevalve or less tuned OHV motor where you are seeking less effect and just want to 'pep it up' a little a 10% weight reduction and some mild port and headwork will achieve that without adversely affecting 'rideability'...Don't forget you would still have over 21lbs of metal to spin up after a 10% weight reduction.....
The 'misconception' that is common is that if you tune a single it will become 'peaky', lose all of its lower end and mid range abilities and become difficult to live with...This is simply not true at all in the case of moderately tuned examples and not too evident even when in a more highly tuned state...Ian

You've convinced me - this is yet another forum infected with the fatal NIH disorder.

I've no idea what NIH disorder is...but I've a feeling it's not a compliment and it relates to the fact I don't know what I'm talking about on this subject...but you do... ...
If only general theory and practice fitted together so neatly....
Unfortunately, in the real world they frequently don't, as any development engineer will confirm....
I'm afraid in this case your conclusions regarding the effects of applying those theories to these engines are simply not correct.
I have built scores of these engines in multiple formats and specifications over a number of decades...and I know what they do..Ian

Marty
Just dropped the cylinder off at Dandy Rebores, after 53 years of trading they cess business next month.

Hi Darren, you could try having a word with Basil Keir of Headworks (his details are in the Burble) to see who he uses for his crank work. He'll be my first port of call when my engine needs re-assembling.

email (option): njgreen@bigpond.net.au

Hello Nigel
I had already called Basil, however he did not seem at all interested. He basically just palmed me off.
Thanks anyway

Nieuwe pagina 1