Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
G3L speedo drive collar (HELP)

Hello. My G3L has a speedo drive which I feel is right going by what I read on the forum. However I am not getting an idea how the distance collar would look i.e the collar between the drive and the frame. I would be grateful if someone can post a pic of this as it is going to be extremely useful.Thank you....Pratap Henry

email (option): prataphenry@gmail

Re: G3L speedo drive collar (HELP)

look at the post g3l rear hub assembly, theres a diagram posted, the part you mentioned normally screws on to the spindle and is roughly around 23mm distance,
hope this helps
barry

email (option): mrsbfuller@hotmail.co.uk

Hi Barry thanks so much. I tried getting some idea from the pics on that post but couldnt get it right. Does it have a part number?
Pratap

email (option): prataphenry@gmail

the spacer between the drive and the frame is one piece with the axle

email (option): deadsheds@yahoo.com

im not sure of a part number, ill try to find it.
the last two G3Ls i restored, that part screwed on, i have two complete spindles in my shed now and one screws on and one is one piece..
barry

No rigid Matchless WD G3L I have ever come across has had any screw fittings other than the nuts at each end.

this is the corret and original rear axle for a G3L.

G3 was entirely different however.

[/URL]

the spacer on its own has a worn thread, the middle bolt has the fixed spacer and the bottom bolt has the screw on spacer. could the screw on type be a G3 maybe?

photo BOLTS001.jpg

what I showed is Matchless. what you have is someones adaptation for some reason, however it looks a well thought out solution rather than the usual bodge one sees. although personally I can't see the point

The whole hub on a G3 is different, it being the pre-war standard QD wheel with 7 in brake, held on by three long sleeve bolts and of course speedo driven from the front wheel not the back, which is why the G3L axle and bearing assembly is arse about face.

Thanks Ken/Barry. I am sure I can definitely make something like this. One last question what are the approx dimesnions of that bush ont he axle? Best Regards

email (option): prataphenry@gmail.com

And don't forget the spacer Inside the speedo drive or you will crush and wreck it.

I have had both axles N.O.S. with spacers that are unscrewable, and fixed, this is possibly a difference between different contracts.

But nothing G3, as mentioned totally different!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

THANKS BARRY AND KEN!!!

You guys are saving my sanity with the photos. I have the same questions, and it is holding back my work.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Dunno anout your sanity, maybe I am loosing my grip.

I have always believed these axles were machined in one piece, in fact, I would have argued that vigourously, as all my parts are NOS in factory or WD grease.

I have literally just come up from a tidy-up in my shed, well, I moved stuff about to find something else, when I picked up and looked at this very item.

With the cad plate worn off, and the grease wiped off it blow me if its now bloody obvious that the spacer does indeed screw on............ On another one in grease and wrapping it looks so hard to se the join that possibly it was cadmium plated as a unit....its the only answer I can think of.

comclusion.

expert= Ex =something thats not

...... spert, a drip under pressure.

I'll get round to some meausurements, if you still need some, when its cooled down under my corrugated iron shed roof.

Hit 30 degs lunch time, hammock in the shade is the only place to be.

Nieuwe pagina 1