Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another rare piece of history saved!

As you are aware that I look out for strange things on my travels during my day to day business and look to place them with the correct people to look after and save them, the last thing was the "Wellington" bomber wings that turned out to be prototype ones from a 1916 DeHavilland AJ23 WW1 Bomber, I'm not that stupid to not know the difference but I hadn't even set eyes on them at the time.
Well, anyway I was doing some business with someone on the old Royal Ordinance Factory number ten (known locally as "Roften") I've been there a few times and didn't really notice anything of interest apart from the usual military type buildings, but it was mentioned that the buildings were to come down soon to be replaced with 250 new houses, it was mentioned that there were 2 air raid shelters mounted to the roof, these were the steel dome type designed for just one firewatcher/ARP personnel member. This type is supposed to be very rare, believed to be only 4 left in existance. The buildings were supposed to be listed because of the shelters on the roof, but the need for housing is obviously greater, the upshot is that they were going to be demolished with the buildings. I picked up on this and have managed to get them saved! I think they will end up in Blackpool at the new museum incorporated with the zoo. This will probably be in conjunction with John Coombes from the Spitfire display team
Copy and paste the following link into your browser to see the type.
http://www3.hants.gov.uk/aldershot-museum/aldershot-collections.htm

I will take some pictures of them in situ tomorrow along with more pictures of the site

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Re: Another rare piece of history saved!

Well done Dave I bet the scrappies have taken you off their Christmas list !

Any chance they could be borrowed for use as portaloos in Normandy next year to avoid any embarrasing 'Clochemerle' moments ?

Strange that even though they were designated as part of a listed area. The authorities seemed happy to scrap them when it's so easy for them to be saved. I'd like one in the garden.
Well done indeed Dave Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Well done Dave!

Regards,
Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

I think the problem with saving them in situ was that they were atop a 10,000 square foot building, I can see the dilemma that the council had, stop a 250 housing development for the sake of 2 shelters whose square footage was actually only about 10 square feet just because they were attached to the massive building, the estates owner was aware of the problem, but had nowhere to put them so the council were to let him remove them, apparently the ladders were listed too! , I think he was glad that someone was willing to save them as this would have helped the council out too.

But it wouldn't have been hard for the council to save the shelters....and ladders and store them in one of their yards till a home was found. But their solution would have been to let them go to the scappies!
I'd still like one in my garden if you want to post one down. Ron

PS Dave. Just received your parcel for Leon.

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Way to go Dave.

Over here in the States, we would just wreck 'em.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

nice one dave will be interesting to see what becomes of those wings at least they should be in the right hands
karl

email (option): karl.edmondson@btopenworld.com

Here's the picture of them in situ, unfortunately it isn't too good a picture. The ladders going up to them are the ones that are supposed to be listed too
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Well done Dave for saving them

I must say, that is the last place I'd want to be in an air raid. In a metal box (coffin) on top of the roof...!

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

...and twenty-foot up on some angle-iron and old tube....Brave men the firewatchers, even though they may have been in reserved occupations or unfit for service.

It appears that the place I was going to get them put hasn't really got any suitable area for them, does anyone have any ideas/contacts as to where they may be put on display? I presume that it must be part of a permanent collection or display. The ladders may be what has caused the issue as I believe that they must go with them as they are listed too

E-mail sent Dave.

email (option): cruiserchooser@hotmail.co.uk

might be worth asking on the resw website, theres a link to the davidstow museum ?

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Thanks, I'll chase it up

Hi Dave,how about the Imperial War Museum Manchester 0161 836 4000
iwmnorth@iwm.org.uk
Or HQ, The Imperial War Museum 020 7416 5000
mail@iwm.org.uk
if they dont want em,they may know someone
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

R.E. Museum in Gillingham, Kent?

email (option): wm20@scorpionvideo.net

Nieuwe pagina 1