Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Voltage Regulator or no Regulator on Norton 16H

Hi all,

actually working on the electric side of the bike and lots of questions popped up. My Civil Norton is May 1936. If I read this page correctly

http://www.wdnorton.nl/Electrical_system.htm

than it says that my bike did not have a Regulator at all but my panel on the Headlamp got no C Position?? Anyhow I decided for a electronically regulator but I am interested if my bike was equipped with or without Regulator. Maybe someone can tell me.

Thanks Phillip

email (option): phillip.thaler@gmx.at

Re: Voltage Regulator or no Regulator on Norton 16H

Phillip, It's correct they had no voltage regulater as such (as on the later ones) yours should be a 3 brush system, and that is sort of self regulating, the C on the switch is for extra charging during daytime.

A voltage cut out is fitted in the dynamo housing, to prevent battery drainage.

The 3rd brush can be moved, to in/de-crease charging, you will have to take out the 3rd brush, when fitting a regulator!

Hope this hastily typed explanation helps, back to the shed!

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Thanks Lex,

this than means my Dynamo and Head Light panel is from a later model. No 3rd brush on my dynamo and no C position on my Head lamp panel.

Not having a Regulator on my bike originally is a good thing, dont like the regulator box to be mounted on the frame anyhow :-)

Thanks for the info.

Phillip

Phillip, what is the model code and production date on your dynamo body?

I can't remember the production date of your machine but it seems that 1937 models had the 'CVC' regulated output and these were being built from August 31st 1936 onwards, so four months's worth of production did have the later electrics - even the War Department models had them from December and the British War Office has never been known for progressive thought...

Many European export machines were fitted at the request of the importers with Bosch electrics and there is no doubt that if the regulator magdyno was in production, Nortons would have fitted it to order.

If your frame has horizontal saddle spring mounting lugs then I suspect from my observations that this indicates a 1937 model. A single picture in Roy Bacon's Norton Singles book suggests 1937 models had the regulator clamped on the left hand frame tube rather than above the tool box.

The three brush 'sort of self regulating' system described by Lex isn't marvellous...The later regulated one is far more serviceable...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Philip
Is your bike definately civvy 1936? This can be sometimes difficult to determine. Can you post some piccys of the bike and elec system??

Hi,

this is my Dynamo

photo IMAG2176_zps57eab186.jpg

The Date of my bike is 100% proofen. all numbers match to the Norton Factory book.

Phillip

Hi Phillip...To the right of the arrow in your photograph it say 4 54? or 4 34?..I can't quite tell which....This is the date the dynamo was made...April 1954 (or 34)

Or at least when the dynamo body was made....Ian

Interesting, did not know about the dates printed into the dynamo.

Also not 100% sure but looks more like a 3 than a 5 in real

Phillip

The E3 'L' is the postwar 'Long' dynamo (isn't it ? ) This would mean that the date must be '54' It is an anti-clock dynamo so correct for mounting on a clockwise Norton dynamo.

Jan and I have examined lots of Lucas components at jumbles in an attempt to pin these dates down and came to the conclusion that up until the late 1930s, Lucas just used a month and year code - '3-5' would be March 1935, for instance..and then in 1938 or '39, depending on the component, they seem to have realised that there was another decade coming so they began to use a decade code.

Hi Phillip
Yes the dynamo is a 60 watt E3L so must be 1954. It also means you will have to use an MCR2 cutout and regulator. wdnorton.nl has wiring diagrams, the 41-45 one should be a help.

Or you could bin the dynamo and source 1936 stuff in which case the "pre 1937" diagram will apply. The problem with that tho' is that you will be getting inferior lighting and charging (45 watt instead of 60 and erratic charging)

I run my 35 16H with the old 3 brush that i have converted to 2 brush, i have fitted a modern sealed regulator (fitted in the toolbox) The switch has the half charge resistor removed. It shows a steady charge even with the lights on. Night riding is better than i thought but i have the 8" headlamp with a very good reflector. As far as i know the 2 brush system came out in 36 but i am not sure when Norton took it up, i do know they were fitted in 37.
The old 3 brush dynamos look more original and you do not have the large regulator to fit on the frame.

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1