Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rim width query...

Does anyone know the actual width of a 'modern' 2.50 rim?...All I know is it's slightly wider than a WM3....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Rim width query...

It's OK...I found it...It's the old WM4 and is approx. 3/8" wider than a WM3...Ian

Talking to yourself there Ian? Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Ian, I've got a 2.50 Akront TC with a tyre on at the moment. It should be 2.5" between the beads. It measures 3.39" / 86.1mm across the rim.

For comparison purposes, the front Akront TC 2.15 (WM3) is 3" / 76mm wide and an Akront TR (so not quite the same form) in 1.85 (WM2) is 2.66" / 67mm across.

Thanks Rik..I've been onto Avon tyres and am sorting out the tyre type, sizes and recommended rim sizes for the sprinter...Ian

Avons recommend wider rims now for a given tyre size and have shifted up the 'acceptable' range as well. Commandos were fitted as new with WM2 rims with 4.10 (100/90) tyres which they no longer recommend as a fitment. I now have a physically narrower front tyre on the 850 Commando than on the 16H !

If you want actual width measurements for installed Avons of 90/90, 100/90 or 110/90, just ask !

Yes, I went through this when I put track compound tyres onto my Harris Matchless after I tweaked the engine to 50BHP ..(easy with a Rotax!).
I got the tyre and rim sizes from Avon but my local tyre guy refused to fit them initially as he said the rim was too wide for the tyre...
He fitted them after I got him to ring Avon customer services to confirm it was all correct...
Once fitted they certainly 'looked right' and performed well...Ian

Hi Ian,

I've just send you an Email.

Cheers,

Boudewijn V. (WM90358)

email (option): bousien@hetnet.nl

Hi Ian,

I've just send you an Email.

Cheers,