Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OMD

What does OMD stand for? It's on teh front fender of an untouched G3L I recently stumbled across.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Re: OMD

oil mineral detergent normally would have a viscosity would normally be on the oil tank why it's on a mudguard who knows but someone will
Ron FTLDU

email (option): grumpy.moran@gmail.com

And it's a post war oil grade...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

For what it's worth, my WM has "OMD 50" stenciled in white across the oil tank, about 3 paint layers down....

I kept thinking it was some motor pool number; was finally told it was "Oil Mineral Detergent".

JDE

email (option): teladelujo@ msn.com

I remember when I was in the army in the 1960s the oil used for lorry/land rover engines was OMD 330

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Perhaps of more relevance to motorcycles during my service late last century (Australian Army) all small Engines I.E generators,welder s Etc and all B vehicles used OMD 110 which is Broadly equivalent to a mono grade SAE 30 oil

Cheers

Ron FTLDU

That's pretty thin oil for the hotter climates...Postwar OMD 330, used by UK forces, equates to an SAE50. I use 40 in the winter and 50 if it's a warm summer (which isn't often these days).
Wartime lubrication charts show '50 HD' for engine, box and primary....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian
I am Far to young to have any personal experience with an M20 Australian service but Small engines Generally air Cooled used in Stationary roles used this oil in all seasons but i would be the last person to advocate this use in a M20 indeed any Motorcycle just generally commenting on the term OMD.

Ron

FTLDU

Ron from the land own under
Perhaps of more relevance to motorcycles during my service late last century (Australian Army) all small Engines I.E generators,welder s Etc and all B vehicles used OMD 110 which is Broadly equivalent to a mono grade SAE 30 oil

Cheers

Ron FTLDU

They still use 30W oil in most Briggs engines.
Honda & Kholer specify 5W 30 or 10 W 40 depending upon the engine.
What you have to remember that most small engines are govened to about 80% of max revs.
Motorcycles are not.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1