Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What's a single spring clutch worth

I know this is a bit of an open ended question, but there is a single spring clutch which I think is complete on ebay at the moment which I am thinking of bidding on, unless someone has one here they are willing to part with.

Previously what sort of price range do these things sell for?

email (option): tmuir12@gmail.com

Re: What's a single spring clutch worth

Hi Tony...I haven't seen a good complete one for sale for a while...In the whacky world of e bay...which is an auction..it will go for whatever a particular individual thinks it is worth on the day the auction ends..
The best thing to do is ignore the (fluctuating) market values and individual opinions and decide what it is worth to you to get it...
Put that on as a 'maximum' bid once you've made a low bid to get in on it and then just let it run to the end, win or lose....
All the individual parts are no longer available so there is no 'new' price for comparison...
The most important thing is to ask questions of the seller and be absolutely sure you are buying a good, serviceable unit...not a 'duffer'...
Also give some thought to the readily available alternative...a pre unit Triumph clutch...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian, thats pretty much what I thought.
I did manage last week to pick myself up a NOS inner drum and spring although I don't like my chances of finding NOS of the rest of the clutch.

I'm guessing it will be 2 or 3 years before my bike is even close to been ready to ride, so don't won't to go over the top and pay too much when I've still got another few years to find one.

email (option): tmuir12@gmail.com

Is a special mainshaft adapter needed for the Trumpy clutch Ian. Need a clutch for a plunger box?

Hi Douglas...The Triumph clutch was a standard fitment to BSAs from the mid 50s onwards (BSA started using it after they bought Triumph Motorcycles).
So, the clutch mainshaft adapter is a stock BSA part for a swinging arm model A7/10, B31/33....You will also need the tab washer and clutch centre nut for that application.
When fitted to the earlier (rigid/plunger) boxes the adapter sits slightly further out on the mainshaft, as although both boxes have the same mainshaft taper angle the diameter differs slightly.
This means the engine sprocket will have to be moved outwards slightly as well to restore correct sprocket alignment. A thicker spacer behind the engine sprocket carrier sleeve fixes that problem easily.
A different length clutch pushrod will also be required...I generally make those to suit the individual bike from a length of silver steel....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I have some single clutch bit i.e. 18ish steel plates 15ish oily fibre plate 1 basket 2 centre hubs, nut and springs its all is naff/rubbish nearly scrap if any body wants it its free just pay the postage can email you a photo thanks roger

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Thanks Ian.

Nieuwe pagina 1