Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Introduction / question

Hi All,

I like to ask another question but first I think it's proper to introduce myself.
I'm Menno, living in the North of the Netherlands.
I've been riding bike's since I was 19 (47 now) and finally bought my first English motorcycle, a Matchless g3/L. I have been looking for a wartime English motorcycle a long time.
I bought it about two months ago, and need to get it registered before I can ride it. I already asked a question about that, and got some help in a PM.(thanks again)

I have a frame with a good wartime frame number now but it needs a bit of work.
My question is are the threaded studs on the frame on which the oil tank is attached welded to the frame, or can I turn them loose in the round fixations?

The frame is a bit rusty and has some pitting in it. What is the best way to fill this, first primer it and then put some putty in it or first try to fill out the pits on the bare metal with ? copper?

thanks, Menno

Re: Introduction / question

whatever you do, do not mess with those studs.

they are part of the boss which is brazed onto the frame.

due to the angle of the frame down tube its a real bugger to drill into the boss to tap it.

The boss also has a small pin to position it; they will come off with gas flame.

Not too bad to make if you have a lathe.

note' BRAZE not weld them on

email (option): deadsheds@yahoo.com

Menno
The frame is a bit rusty and has some pitting in it. What is the best way to fill this, first primer it and then put some putty in it or first try to fill out the pits on the bare metal with ? copper?...

Provided you are not a rivet counter: first grit blast all the parts, then apply a powder coat with RAL 6014, then apply filler and finish her off with RAL 6014, either with a rattle can or by pistol. Works for me

email (option): viacons [at] planet'dot'nl

I had to replace one of the studs because the thread was damaged, just grinded the stud off and left the boss on the frame, drilled and tapped a new threadhole and fitted a new stud with Loctite.

Regards,
Peter

Peter S.
, just grinded the stud off and left the boss on the frame, drilled and tapped a new threadhole and fitted a new stud with Loctite.

My damaged thread is on the inside, the angle is hard to drill like Ken said.
At least now I know how they are fixed to the frame.

Thanks for the sugestions,

Menno

Nieuwe pagina 1