Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM20 Information

Hello from Crete (Greece)

I have come across this forum after starting some research as I have aquired what I believe to be a BSA WM20 which I intend to at least get back into working order!!

I would be grateful if somebody could help me figure out the year and other info for this bike before I start down the long windy restoration path.

The only markings/numbers I can find on the bike are:

Engine (Stamped on Crankcase) 22420
Frame - WM20 115010

There is also a small brass plate which seems to have - SOU2/12 52

If there are any others I should be looking for, please let me know.

Finally, I have some pictures viewable at the following location:
http://www.daveraza.co.uk/gallery/index.php?dir=BSA%20M20

Many Thanks in Advance
Dave R

email (option): david@therazas.com

Re: WM20 Information

Hi Dave

With information I have to hand I cannot easily identify the motor, but your frame appears to be from contract S5209 - a large contract which was mostly completed in 1944 - same contract as mine

S5209
Frame sequence
WM20 104818 ~ 116817

However your rear mudguard and fuel tank appear to be from earlier contracts, so most likely your bike has been through the workshops at some stage - indicated by the plate you have noted

SOU2/ 12 52

The magneto has the pick up between the mag and the cylinder - normally it's at the opposite side and you also appear to have the later 60watt dynamo

This will be a workshop somewhere within the British army organisation and it seems an overhaul of some kind was undertaken in Dec 1952

There are some very knowledgeable people on here who can be very precise with this type of information so stand by for an expert - I'm still an apprentice rivet counter

Hope you get it sorted and running again soon

Best regards

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: WM20 Information

Hi John

Many thanks for your reply. It's a great start especially as the Greek owner, a good friend of mine, seemed to think it was an earlier model (late 30's).

I know cars quite well and a few simple bikes when I was young but this is a totally new elephant!

I do know that it has been running a few times since he purchased it. In fact the last time back in the early 90's I helped get it on the road again and there is a good chance that some parts were whatever he could source and probably not correct or original. It has been sitting (for the most part outside a bar here in Crete) and I have convinced him to let me take it home and 'play'!

I realise it is not a small task but I am in no great hurry.

Standing by for any more info..

Dave R

email (option): david@therazas.com

Nieuwe pagina 1