Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Motor number tag with LV7 BC 66 63?

I purchased a 1939 BSA WM 20. The motor that came with the project has an aluminum plate with similar numbers of the box posted on the top of the web page .B.S.A Engine LV7/BC 66-63. The number on the breather of my motor is B190MS and the number under the jug is WM20.80650 with 75 stamped under it. I also have a number under the breather 143 MS 53. My question is this. Is this a remanufactured motor with new numbers stamped in? Does the aluminum plate indicate that? Any help with any of the numbers is appreciated. I do hope this is not a repost I did search the forum might have overlooked it.

email (option): robmuriel@yahoo.com

Re: Motor number tag with LV7 BC 66 63?

Hi Rob

Sounds like an interesting bike.

Its possible that your engine was rebuilt several times and that some of the stamps date from different periods, but it would seen that "MS" stands for ministry of supply and "B190" is a workshop but we don't know where.

If you can give us the frame number we could see if it shows up in the keycards, that may give some more clues to its postwar history.

And a photo of the aluminium plate would be nice to see.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

photo IMAG1349.jpg

photo IMAG1351.jpg

photo IMAG1352.jpg

One last one frame number

photo IMAG1353.jpg

Hi Rob

WM20 82427 is in the keycards.

Postwar registration 87 YD 86
Wartime serial C5115827
Contract S1048
Last location before disposal 16 BVD BAOR B/41 (16 Base Vehicle depot British Army On the Rhine)
Sold off 16.2.70

I'm not sure why you say its 1939, I would guess 1943?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

This was a new 'spare' or a rebuilt engine unit...
66-63 is the BSA part number for....'Engine assembly with cush drive, carburettor and magdyno, with cables less handlebar controls..Qty..1..'....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks so much for the help!
So with that info would I be right in thinking the bike never left the UK during the war?

Rob, I would think, as the British Army On the Rhine, is in Germany, the bike ended up there, after the fighting in n/w Europe!

If you want a scan of the relevant Keycard, drop me a line, some costs are involved.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Ha haaaaaaa yes thanks for that one. Being the geographically challenged wrench bender that I am I truly appreciate the astute knowledge and education you have afforded me. If ever in port on your side of the world I would gladly offer a pint in gratitude.

That's a nice, unmessed with frame number.

The presence of a vehicle such as an M20 with BAOR during the 1960s probably gives no clue as to where it served in wartime. Some of those machines could well have ended the war there but others would have arrived as replacements or with units rotating.

There are bikes in the UK with overseas rebuild stamps and the scale of movements taking place through Antwerp was huge.

Nieuwe pagina 1