Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What are the fuel Tap threads on a '41 M20

Gents, I did search but could not find.

Bought some of Joosts fuel taps which arrived on Saturday, they are great quality and come with a nice 'anti-my tank lining is flaking off and blocking my fuel lines' gauze, but sadly they don't fit the original copper pipe brass nut or the fuel tank.

Could someone more learned than I, please tell me the thread sizes into the tank and onto to pipes, hopefully he has these, thanks.

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Re: What are the fuel Tap threads on a '41 M20

Hi Kit..The thread into the tank for the brass tap adapter is 3/8" BSP. The thread in the adapter that takes the actual tap will be either 1/8" or 1/4" BSP.
Note that 1/8" BSP is a fairly fine thread with an o.d. of approx. 3/8"...1/4"BSP has an o.d. of approx. 1/2"....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

My Enots fuel taps and crank case breather have a 7/16 x 19 tpi thread, where the fuel or breather nipples fit. It’s an oddball thread that was used, amongst other things, on Austin 7 fuel systems. Suppliers of Austin spares keep these fittings in stock, it seems.
I’m about to find out, so I will keep you posted.

email (option): timmykins@icloud.com

'and crank case breather have a 7/16 x 19 tpi thread'...

I'm not too sure about that...I've had these parts manufactured in the past and I don't recall them being 19tpi...They were either 18tpi (7/16" BSF) or 20tpi (7/16" Cycle Thread, coarse form)....I'll check one today to confirm...Ian

I checked and double checked the pitch of the thread, as I’m aware that BSF is 18 tpi. I definitely get it to 19 tpi and not 18 tpi.
I would never suggest you’re wrong Ian, as you’ve way more experience with BSA’s than me. But my taps and breather seem to be an anomaly.
I only have the breather at work with me, where my pitch gauges are. But I will take the gauges home and double check my fuel taps. The fuel line unions go on my breather though....

The 1/4 BSP fittings (British standard pipe) are 19tpi but they are just over 1/2" OD. Ron

PS 1/4 BSP fittings are usually readily available from "Vintage Supplies" and "The Green Spark Plug Co"

Ron

I've checked 5 standard M20 fittings and the breather fitting thread is 7/16" x 20 Cycle thread as far as I can deduce..20tpi is the 'coarse' version of Cycle Thread and is used for various applications on BSAs. The 19t thread gauge is definitely not a perfect fit to the thread on the fittings I have...

Regarding the petrol taps/pipes, my M20 came from a chap who'd owned it since demob and one other owner, both of whom I knew... It had a standard type petrol pipe fitted..Neither owner had altered anything on the bike from its 'demob' specification. However, both the internal thread in the tank adapters and the tap threads and petrol pipe nuts were all 1/4" BSP...Postwar replacements perhaps?...

Of course it's entirely possible an alteration has been made in this case....As a point of interest the OHV M/B Series postwar, timing cover mounted breather assemblies use a 1/4BSP thread and use a larger diameter breather pipe...Ian

Hi Ian, I’ve just got a pair of eyes, attached to a 24 year old, to double check the pitch. You’re exactly right, it’s 20tpi! In my defence it was 05.55 this morning when I dropped the pitch gauge on! The early hour and my newly acquired ‘special Austin fuel thread’ info. Made it seem like 19tpi was spot on.
In conclusion, the 7/16 diameter and 20tpi must make it BSC coarse, as you told me it would be, thanks. My two fuel taps have the same thread on their outlet also.
Thanks for clearing it up,

Tim.

Just to confuse matters here, Draganfly list an Enots type tap for the 1940 - 1947 'M' series as 1/8 upper x 3/16 lower and state that all sizes are BSP. 3/16" BSP seems to be an obsolete vehicle size that was never an industry standard.

https://draganfly.co.uk/product-category/bsa/sparesparts-for-bsa-a710-b3133-c101112-m202133/oil-petrol-tank-abcm/petrol-taps-pipes-abcm/

On the basis that BSP is often given as dimension + 1/4", both 3/16" BSP and 7/16" would have a .4375" OD and it would seem likely that the BSP thread would be 19tpi as per 1/4"....A brass thread of 19 or 20 tpi that has been forced could easily give a misleading measurement.

So......I’ve checked my fuel taps, the thread on the outlet side is 7/16 x 19 tpi. The thread on the crank case breather outlet is 7/16 x 20 tpi.
In conclusion then, the breather thread is 7/16 bsc coarse and the fuel tap thread looking to be the elusive 3/16 bsp. Possibly adopted as a brass saving measure and used on, amongst other things Austin 7 fuel systems.

Enots used a special thread for the pipe fitting 7/16 x 19 TPI.
This from RudgeWhitworth.com website.

It would seem though that the lower fitting has a 60° female taper as per BSP....so if it was unique to Enots then it followed BSP conventions.

Some careful examination is called for to check if it has a 55° thread angle. If so then it is likely that Benton & Stone created their own intermediate 3/16" BSP size....

For my breather pipe, which thanks to Ian we’ve established is BSC Coarse 7/16 diameter 20tpi. I only managed to source a 7/16 diameter 19tpi fuel pipe union (the ones that fit the Enots fuel taps, also discussed in this thread).
Using a 1.25 pitch metric thread file (60 degree thread form like BSC, much cheaper than a BSC thread file and has got me out of trouble with lots of BSC thread issues) I’ve ‘eased’ the thread in the union. So it now screws onto the breather with slightly more effort than my sausage fingers can produce. I’m happy with this compromise. Once my workshop is built and I have bought a lathe, such things will be a thing of the past!

Nieuwe pagina 1