Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
norton 16H engine plates question

hi all, question for the norton boys.
i just want to know the difference between the 16H WD and a civvy cradle frame rear plates, my civvy has a par of thees (ebay 390614798369) but the longest thin part have been cut half way?
thanks barry

email (option): mrsbfuller@hotmail.co.uk

Re: norton 16H engine plates question

Barry, the cradle frame plates are much smaller because they don't have to reach right back to the open ends of the rear chainstays of the 'open-diamond' frame.

Yours would normally have welded on footrest tubes. WD have loose tubes (presumably, although less strong, this is compensated for by ease of replacement).

You really need a decent copy of the 1938/39 parts book (which is illustrated, unlike 1946) - this shows all the various plate and frame differences across the model range.

hi rik, it seems everything i come across on this bike is the wrong part. im waiting for a couple of books from rob van meel but in the mean time ive just been looking on the web for pictures and any info and i feel that im getting to know i little more about the 16H, i still cant find parts though.
hope i get the parts book soon and then i can se whats what then.
thanks barry

Barry, you could have a look on the pre-war Norton singles blog.

http://www.vintagenorton.com/2005/11/pdf-collection.html

The parts book for models subsequent to 1936 (i.e. 1937 - on)includes both cradle (ES2) and open (16H & 18 etc) frames and fittings.

thanks Rik,

Hi Barry, the 1946 16H has got very little in common with a WD 16H. You would do better looking for post war Model 18 parts and some plunger ES2 parts. The main difference with the 1946 model from the rest of the post war 40's Norton's is it kept the girder forks for that year. But other than that the bikes were the same but with different engine fitted.

photo 16H1946.jpg

As you can see from the picture the frame engine and gearbox are different from a WD16H, front mudguard doesn't have the "V" on the front, tool box different, even the girders are different with the brake on the opposite side and rubber mounted handlebars. In fact it's easier to say what's the same, probably the rear mudguard and numberplate, seat and centre stand. Not much else.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

thanks horror, ive read lots of post and seen lots of pictures about the 16h but i just cant se the set up around the gearbox area/behind the engine, i do kind of know what mines missing but have not yet found some one selling parts.
is that a 6,1/2 or 7" headlight on the bike in the pics?
thanks barry

It's still 6 1/2" headlight, part number 50212B I'm guessing that's a Lucas DU42 but I'm not sure. I can't find a picture in the parts book and the drawings in the manuals are the same as used in the pre war diagrams. All the pictures on 46 bikes seem to be DU42's

I'm looking for a picture of the engine plates without going to the garage and taking a picture. Not sure if you'll see much on the bike. I may even have a set as I have a 46 Model 18 in bits. If I find them I'll take pictures.

Ok, I couldn't find anything on the internet and it was a lot quicker to go to the garage and find the plates
I think these are off a 46 Model 18, the ones on my plunger ES2 look the same so I would say it was the same for your 16H..?

photo IMAG2861_zps55939769.jpg

photo IMAG2859_zps7118198e.jpg

i se, there a lot different, least i know what im looking for now.
thanks horror

has any one got a life size drawing (PDF) of the engine plates as in horrors pictures? and possibly the length of the foot rest tubes, im planing on making them self.
barry

E-mail me your address and I'll draw round them and send you.

Nieuwe pagina 1