Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OMG a 16H for £8,500!

Just seen this on ebay 321147897161 no battery, no docs, no reg.
I suppose all of this means our stuff is now becoming really valuable and we'll have to take real care of it if we don't want it getting pinched! In the past no one wanted our stuff but looks like things have changed

Re: OMG a 16H for £8,500!

There is a big difference between asking prices and what is acheived at the sale. This seller always seems to me to ask fantasy land prices for his bikes, and although it looks ok, I bet the 16H rivet the counters will be able to see things that are wrong with it.
His asking price is twice what Roger was asking for his WM20 a few days ago?

Well I wouldn't be ready to pay that sort of money for a bike that isn't correct spec. wise and they haven't even troubled themselves to get registered...'Believed rebuilt'?...Great...I wonder if they 'believe' it will run properly...
This is nothing new, dealers constantly push to the limits on price...and beyond.
One day it might be worth that, in fact it will be worth that...but not today in my opinion...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Professional urine-extraction on the go here, I fear.

This bike was entered for the Bonhams auction at Stafford

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21135/lot/248/

There was an Ariel W/NG from the same source which fetched £3450 (plus premiums, I assume).

The Ariel is in the results but this one mysteriously not...was it withdrawn before sale, or has this seller come to an arrangement with the auction house to remove evidence of his intended profit margin ?

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21135/lot/249/

There is what appears to be a much more honest civilianised WD16H on eBay at the moment with no bids yet at £4500.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261233310891?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have to say that it seems a lot of money for a scruffyish side valve but it doesn't go for more then it probably could be turned into a tidyish WD machine for a total of around £6000 which is +/- around what it would cost to get any WD16H that I've seen lately up to scratch.

Hi, here's a spare grinding wheel for one,looks a bit rough 121130656076
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Funnily enough I have been over there today, not to see the bike, but for something else. I did get shown the bike and it is very nice, it has the contract plate which tallies up with the information given. I think he actually wants to keep it for himself as it is very nice. It does look like it has been restored properly, a couple of bits aren't quite correct, but I think it is about as good as you'd get

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Your not convincing me Dave...It's too much money and not even registered. The seller could do that for very little cost and should be prepared to, if he's going to ask £2000 more than the 'going rate' for a top spec. 16H..For £8500 there shouldn't be any incorrect parts.(or anything else wrong with it)...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Anyone ever had a drag between the Norton and WM20? Which one is the more gutless?

Douglas
Anyone ever had a drag between the Norton and WM20? Which one is the more gutless?

I suspect that a good one of either is better than a bad one of the other...

A lightweight rider helps too.

To add to the previous remarks.

Its most likely one of the machines delivered to Greece after the war.
The engine is an S5161 contract engine built late 1944 or early 1945.
Without stating the frame number there is no way to tell if the contract plate fits to any of the other parts on the bike.
C14498 was a 1942 contract but bikes were delivered after november 1943. For this bike only that contract plate is a proven 1943 item.
The first 500 MC's of this contract were provided with the padded legshields!

Sidestand foot mounted upside down is classic mistake and an incorrect MCR2 mounted on the "wrong" chain stay as well.
Greece military (and probably others as well) did mount the regulators on the left chain stay for ease of maintenance, on most British Army bikes they remained on the right hand side. The way they left the factory.

The bike is fairly complete with apparently genuine parts but to be regarded as a rebuilt as contract plate and engine number are not related to each other. No proof of internal quality or registration is certainly strange in relation to this requested price.
Its in the same range as the 2012 Stafford person trying to sell a likely clapped out 16H gearbox, used on grass track racing bike but with unknown quality inside for 800 pounds (without blush on his fat head).

The price itself......... well its basically all 70 year old scrapyard junk being rebuilt by us, enthusiasts. Because a number of "enthusiasts" seem to have far to much money to spend, this is what we can expect. Its indeed an asking price but with Normandy 2014 in view who knows????

My days of leaving the bike by the roadside are far in the past. This pricing idiocy started in the 80ties already! Likely fuelled by the early pensioners who had time and money to spend where we are supposed to work upto 67 and maybe even later and also have to do with less money.
My thinking in this is that they went through a terrible time (poverty when young and war!)and we are the pampered generation that will have to end on a bit lower living standard (thanks to the ever existing greedy basterds).

I did see comparable asking prices on the German ebay some years ago for horribly resurrected civilianised 16H with Vokes tank cut out all in shining black with gold lining. It really hurt the eyes.

I do hope to see more Nortons in Normandy 2014!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

That's crazy money for a 16H even if it was restored properly, which this one isn't. I'd rather spend a bit more and get this..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Norton-CS1-500cc-1937-Overhead-Cam-very-rare-/251289145959?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=xV7qK8ypK%252BDBKxCJWIWgJcs1J2U%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_411wt_1154

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

yes Guys I want to buy your old WD bikes when I have enough of them, will start my own Army..
so sell me them whilst I am buying them.
http://assets.bravenet.com/common/images/forum/icons/set16.gif
all the best
Lawrence

email (option): classicbikes1@yahoo.co.uk

Have the bottom end on that engine, hope but know never to find the top end.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Hi,Here's a 16H motor for £0.99p start or buy it now for £1000.00,can't see there will be many takers,but if a full bike is £8500.00,who knows?
ebay 151103909503
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

I couldn't give a Flying F&£k what our 16H is "worth".......all I know is it cost me around £300, about the same to restore, and we like it........it isn't for sale and won't be as long as I can shake a stick, so value all pretty irrelevant at the end of the day in monetary terms to us......

email (option): sjmwdbikemad@aol.co.uk

The 16H is a classified ad..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjeTq2fShRc

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

when you click on the Bonham's site and click on the photo to enlarge you get some nice clear enlarged pictures good to us as a screen saver

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1