Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Indentity Parade

Hi

Ok not a parade...well perhaps if I upload some photos it would be! Anyway, now that my M20 is up and running in Singapore and I have sucessfully got a bulb (thanks Australia) and will shortly have some oil (thanks Francois from Motul in Singapore) I can consider looking into what my M20 might be. The UK registration document said declared manufactured 1939, which was enough to allow import to Singapore as vintage. I suspect that 1939 is wrong... But the numbers are odd, or at least seem so to me having looked at the information on the web. Frame number appers to show XM20 116118. So that would be 1945 civy, but surely the number is too high? The DVLA document has the same number, but omits the year/model part. Engine shows what is either WM20 277795 or 1277795. This caused some temporary inspection grief before approval in Singapore. The DVLA and invoice for importation shows the 277795 bht there is clearly what looks like a 1 or at least a / before this. LTA in Singapore approved on the basis of the number being 1277795. So the engine is a 1940 onwards series but again isn't the number too high, whichever option i choose?

If anyone can tell me more I would like to know, just to see if I Can trace more about Bessie as Amanda has named her :-)

I will try to upload photos of the frame and engine numbers later, the give a clear shot of what is there for extra thoughts!

Thanks

Richard

email (option): dickie.bobbie@hotmail.co.uk

Re: Indentity Parade

Hi Richard...Alterations to frame and engine numbers are not uncommon..and it has always been like that for one reason or another...
Both numbers are indeed too high for the stated years and a photo of both would help to (confirm?) that they have been altered...I guess they MUST have been....
The other question is what spec. the bike actually is if the numbers can no longer be used as a guide to the year..ie..Which frame do you have etc. etc. ...
Looking on the bright side, at least the local pen pushers are happy...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Indentity Parade

Hi Ian

With luck, here are a set of photos.

The frame number isn't very clear in the photo, the actual numbers look clear, but equally, the whole lot looks as if there may be something underneath. Not that I want to go scraping way.

For the engine number, the "75" at the end looks to be a different stamp, larger size but same font - that would make 12779 perhaps, but the 12 is squeezed in, which doesn't seem the "natural" place, but who knows!

I know that the rear mudguard stays are not a WM20 style, but then these may well have come later!

Let me know what you make of this, or if you'd like more photos.

%%bbCodeItem_1%%

%%bbCodeItem_2%%

%%bbCodeItem_3%%

%%bbCodeItem_4%%

%%bbCodeItem_5%%

%%bbCodeItem_6%%

%%bbCodeItem_7%%

%%bbCodeItem_8%%

%%bbCodeItem_9%%

%%bbCodeItem_10%%

%%bbCodeItem_11%%

%%bbCodeItem_12%%