Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tyres

Hi,
Building a WD machine with 3.50 x 19 tyres. Thing is, the tyres I have for it aren't military looking enough. I've searched the web but nothing. Anyone have a source for tyres with side block tread?

Also, is there any update on WD pillion seats being made?

Thanks,
Wade

email (option): iron_ariel@yahoo.ca

Re: Tyres

Hi Wade,
I'm trying to source some Dunlop Speedway tyres but so far without any result. These are out of production for quite some years now so it won't be easy. Mitas has a tyre with a profile that comes close but I don't have experience with this one.
I've been informed that Heidenau has a 19" suitable tyre, the K67, but only in 3,25. I have good experiences with their quality, but I don't like a german tyre on my WD bike
I know someone with close connections to this manufacturer and maybe he can produce a batch in the right size but than I need to know how many are interested.

Regards,
Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Hi Wade...What bike is it?....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Sven,

The K67 looks good but as you say, makes your stomach turn to put those tyres on a WW2 Brit bike. At least it has a chunky tread.
http://www.tyres-pneus-online.ie/motorcycle-tyres/HEIDENAU/K67/

The Mitas is also a possibility.
Too bad this one is not the right size:http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-trials-tires/

Better-http://www.mitas.eu/index.php?stranka=300&scid=51&pid=443

May have to compromise on some things to make the project work.

Be nice to convince Coker to make a batch of Grasshopper tyres as these had the look but they have the rights. Scroll down to see pic below.
http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthread.php?11980-Goodyear-Grasshopper

3.25 tyres are most likely correct as it is a WNG being built, Ian. Not much difference in width but can make a difference in availability.

Cheers,
Wade

Something from the Ensign range ? They have 3.25 and 3.50 sizes. In my opinion, their 'Trials' tyre looks too modern due to the off-set side blocks.

http://www.vintagetyres.com/products/motorcycle-tyres/motorcycle-wired-on-tyre/ensign

The 'Universal' is a good replica of the period.

'Most' WD heavyweights were fitted with batches of either Dunlop 'Universal' or Good-Year 'Extra-Grip' - the latter were quite a road-based tyre with very limited off-road capabilities.

Sven, I may have a contact with some Dunlop Speedways (3.50 x19 ?)still but these are ex-WD supplied for B40s so probably at least forty years old by now. I don't think that I'd want to fit them.

thees are the pair i normally buy (ebay) 260928465809.

email (option): mrsbfuller@hotmail.co.uk

I fitted a pair of Ensign Universals and they look good with decent grip. Have yet to try them in the wet but have accidentally grounded something out on a roundabout so all in all, very happy.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Does anyone have a good picture of these tyres fitted on the bike?? Preferably Norton as I need them for mine. Handling experiences are welcome too! Many thanks in advance,

Regards,
Sven

Just google vintage tyres thats the name of the company .I fitted a dunlop gold seal k70 and it looks ok .

Hi Wade,
I've been quite happy with Dunlop Unigrips-
tryed2 photo matchytyres001.jpg
tyred photo matchytyres002.jpg
I have been using them summer and winter for a couple of years now.
So, are you back in Canada now?
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

I've got Indian Dunlop Uni-Grips on the Norton but they have no 'E' or 'DOT' markings so I'm not sure how official they are in the EU or other western countries.

Mine have been fine but the long WD rear brake pedal means a sensitive foot is needed not to lock the back if it's wet. Probably no tyre can grip on a rigid when the weight transfers to the front.

Rik,

Non E-marked tyres doesn't mean the quality is poor, it only indicates the tyre hasn't been produced in Europe conform EU standards (ECE). Officially all tyres sold for road use in Europe after July 1997 must carry an E-Mark. My experience is that, with the UK up front, non E-marked tyres are sold and used in large quantities. Your local tyre fitter probably has some on the shelve.

Below there is a fine example of the E-marking problems manufacturers currently suffer. Actually this is WW2 related because in the second last alinea you're encouraged to be a parricide like we've had many of in those days.....

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/tyre-import-issue.htm

We all know the large economic regions in the world have different price levels and unfortunately Europe is the most expensive. As tyre manufacturers want to make profit all over the world they have to price their (same) tyres on different levels. To make a visible difference they mark the tyres with all kind of codes related to legislation in the area where these tyres are being sold.
What would be more profitable than importing Asian tyres to Europe? Right..
And that is what manufacturers don't like, so therefore they do anything to maintain their earnings.

Use your professional skills and look good what you buy and, above all, look well after your tyres when you use them, so check the tyre pressure regularly and look after wear..

Regards,
Sven

I don't have a problem with the lack of an 'E' mark - the originals certainly didn't have them. However, I believe that the U.S. and Canada are similarly protectionist and that the 'Uni-Grips' are not available there. Personal imports would bring a fair chance of confiscation at customs, so I thought the original poster should be aware.

I did see on a couple of Indian (sub-continent) forums that the 'Uni-Grips' were slated for wet grip...but I don't ride on unmade roads with five passengers so I'm probably a less demanding customer.

I'm using Mitas Speedway 3.75's on my 16H. Nice big chunky tyre and I like the tread pattern.

photo 16H2013012_zps2187f38b.jpg

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Glad I asked about tyres! Some very good options now. Great to have pictures of tyres on wheels. The Dunlop and the Mitas are very fine looking tyres for military.
Yes, Mick, back in Canada but looking forward to the next visit!

Cheers,
Wade

Hi Wade,

I just got the confirmation of Dunlop that their Speedway tyres are out of production....

As an alternative they offer Italian tyres named Goldentyre Speedway GT101;

Goldentyre

Reviews are quite positive (mainly off road use), but the size is 3.75 R19 and I don't know if this fits well.

Regards,
Sven

Maybe a bit on the large side for an M20 with aspect ratio as well as width being a factor. Additionally, tyre selection is partially a subjective choice with different riders having different tastes and requirements.
I ran 400s on my M20 for a while...They looked nice but the rear one had to be deflated to get the wheel in or out and it was a very snug fit in the area around the front of the rear mudguard and back of the toolbox etc....
Personally I thought they handled pretty badly as well on the M20, the wide front making the steering very ponderous and 'dead' feeling...
I reverted back to my usual choice of 350 Dunlop K70 Gold Seals front and rear and restored the handling to its original 'race' spec.. ....Ian

I chose to use Avon SM's on mine but they don't seem to be mentioned whenever tire selection comes up- any reasons why (other than price?)

Hi Vincent...I don't think many owners of WD bikes like the 'ribbed' front Speedmaster, preferring something closer to the original fitment 'block' tread pattern.....Ian

I put the Safety Mileage tires front and back- instead of a ribbed Speedmaster up front.
Of course I put the Safety Mileage the opposite way up front so it would turn the other direction.

Anyone who ever skidded around on SMs in the 1970s on Ariel Arrows and 3TAs probably never wants to use them again. They always seemed rock hard and wore horribly square. (They were probably ten years old and bought second-hand though).

The Avon GPs weren't much better. It wasn't until Avon made the first 'Roadrunner' that they seemed to have a product to compete with Dunlop on grip. prior to that, they seemed to focus on mileage.

The Dunlop K70 mysteriously and suddenly got softer a few years back...The Slipmaster has also got a lot more soft since the 70s and has a less flat cross section as well...
I really noticed the sudden drop off in the mileage capabilities of the K70 and decided that A) They thought changing times required better grip capabilities or B) They simply rationalised the number of compounds used across the range to save money and the K70 got the compound of a tyre with higher sales volumes..(a more 'sports' type compound.)
I don't really like buying tyres more often, but concluded that if it means I'm less likely to fall off that's probably a good thing...Ian

Vincent

I have got Avon SM on the rear of my Norton rigid single, and think it is the worst tyre ever made. With a little bit of lean it is up on that squared edge and slides sideways- in the dry. It must be unridable in the wet but I havnt had to try it yet.
I think the SM stands for "slippery mileage"
Other than for sidecars I cant see any purpose for this tyre

Peter, Hopefully the ones I bought are newer softer compound than yours, from previous comments maybe you have one of the older generation tires? Any idea how old they were when you bought them?

These are the 325x19 Ensign Universals I just fitted to a Triumph 5SW. I can't comment on handling. Ron

photo 5SW127_zps0ac0f520.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Rik
I don't have a problem with the lack of an 'E' mark - the originals certainly didn't have them. However, I believe that the U.S. and Canada are similarly protectionist and that the 'Uni-Grips' are not available there. Personal imports would bring a fair chance of confiscation at customs, so I thought the original poster should be aware.

I did see on a couple of Indian (sub-continent) forums that the 'Uni-Grips' were slated for wet grip...but I don't ride on unmade roads with five passengers so I'm probably a less demanding customer.

Hi Rik, I know the Uni Grips are available in Canada, thats where I bought mine, dont know about the U.S. though.

Interesting. Where in Canada are the Uni Grips available? Most dealers have not heard of them.
Wade

British Cycle Supply in Wolfville, NS carries them in Canada, they also have a warehouse in New Jersey, USA..

Thanks, I'll call then tomorrow. Their web site doesn't list them so I'll get the story direct.

Wade
Interesting. Where in Canada are the Uni Grips available? Most dealers have not heard of them.
Wade

Yes, British Cycle Supply in N-S, thats exactly where I got mine.

British Cycle Supply does not have any and are not likely to get any. Called them today. Was told that the tyres were being made in Japan but along with the Fukushima nuclear disaster, the factory was destroyed and not rebuilt. He thinks that the tyres are now being made on Indonesia. Sounds like quite the tale. I think that there are no Dunlop Uni Blocks currently available in North America. Not unless a dealer has NOS sitting in a warehouse. I will get mine from the UK.
Wade

Well, thats too bad, however mine were made in India, I used an exacto blade and trimed the Made in India lettering. Mine were bought quite a few years ago now.

There is something odd about the Japanese earthquake story. Dunlop is now owned by the Japanese (Sumitmo) but they don't seem to have rights in the Indian sub-continent.

The Dunlop India Uni-Grips have always been made in India.

I got mine via 'Peters' in The Netherlands. He seems to be the main European Importer.

http://www.petersclassicbikeparts.nl/contents/en-us/d496.html

I am getting mine from Draganfly who have Uni Grips in both 3.25 and 3.5.

Lots of very helpful advice on this thread. Thanks to all. :-)
Wade

Also could try Coker Tire, I think they are US based. They have some sizes of Firestone All-Non Skids but don't see 19 inch listed, may be worth calling. Or Walridge Motors for the Uni-grips?
http://www.cokertire.com/popular-tire-applications/motorcycle/firestone.html
http://www.walridge.com/ - though Walridge has this posted on the price list- GENUINE DUNLOP TIRES (MADE IN INDIA)
NOT SUITABLE FOR ROAD USE.
FOR CORRECTLY RESTORED SHOW BIKES ONLY.
FRONT RIBBED
300 X 19 SPE018 $85.25
325 X 19 SPE028 $68.75
UNIVERSAL REAR
325 X 19 SPE029 $93.45
350 X 19 SPE019 $79.95

wade shouldn't it tread

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

I've read far too much negative on the Avon's here so to balance it up a bit i wanted to praise the SMs I've had over the years & also point out that "SM" is too general in description as it covers quite a few compounds & tread designs, I've never had problems on mk2 SM's myself.
here's three available SM's with modern compounds..

Confusingly some 'SM's are Speed Masters and some are Safety Mileage...Ian

Yes, saying Avon "SM" is a bit general & can be at least 4 different tyres & that's without the compound changes. i think they could've done a far better job with naming the tyres... & yes OK renaming those old hard square tread ones as ditchfinders probably would've been right: D
But i very much like the rounder rear versions & speedmaster ribbed fronts i currently use.

I don't have anything against Avon. The 'Roadriders' that I have on the Commando are the best tyres that I've ever used on it, bar none.

Unfortunately, they don't even list a 3.25" rear tyre as originally specified on Nortons and back and front on later-war M20s.

The block tread 'Safety-Mileage' is only available in 4.00 and I stand by my recollection that the old zig-zag pattern SM Mk2s as available in the 1970s were downright scarey - enough to put me off ever trying them again, along with 'Barum' or 'Yokohama' That's either prejudice or experience. I'm not actually completely sure of the difference.

The zig-zag SM doesn't really look like a 'period' tyre for a WD bike either whilst the K70, although it has later sipes, looks OK from a few yards away.

I'm with Fred about Avon SM's. I've done about 8 thousand miles a year on them on a post war M21 in most weathers and they are fine. As Ian says they wear out faster but grip better than the old ones. I've seen people using 20 year old tyres worn square on a sidecar bike, complaining about the handling.

Cheers Pat

I think i just dislike K70's & i think it might not matter how good or bad they are to a point, i think we have a bad experience & avoid that tyre after that.
Don't think i will ever agree that K70's look right on a WM20. i think the Ensigns look best.

Nieuwe pagina 1