Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton Dolls head Gearbox

This is the bronze clutch worm and steel dust cover, are they a push fit together or threaded together?

I'm considering making the cover in stainless steel.

Rob

photo clutchactch_zps588fd304.jpg

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Norton Dolls head Gearbox

Never took it apart! can still be found N.O.S., so why bother.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@wish.net

They're threaded, Rob. The bronze part is usually tighter in the cover. Not easy to grip now.

photo Clutchwormcover_zps881d0c40.jpg

Eh?...How does one hexagon get inside the other if you are screwing it in?.Is the bronze part two pieces?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The bronze worm nut is pulled up tight into the cover using the hexagon - it locates the mainshaft bearing. The worm is then normally entered from the outside (Rob's must've been screwed right through) and then the dust cover is screwed on, with a felt washer behind it.

I've generally found the worm nut to be pretty tight in the casing and usually, the dust cover will come off on its own.

With what Rob now has (and assuming that he wants to re-use the worm nut), he's going to struggle to hold it steady whilst undoing the dust cover.

The steel cover over the kickstart spring, incidentally, is just a push fit - and almost impossible to remove without marking it.

Would it be possible to find a nut with the correct thread (or any other component on the bike that uses the same thread) and put a slit up the side of the nut and grip it in the vice using the split in the nut to lock it tight?

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Done this a few times, fit the bronze part in a large 3 jaw chuck grip it on the large plain part so the chuck jaws are just up agains the steel outer cover. Lock the chuck and undo the outer steel cover with the correct size spanner. Watch for the bronze part slipping in the chuck. I have been successful every time with this but there is always an exception.

Good luck
Tim walker

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Thanks everyone, I had to read all that a couple of times but I've got it now.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Any idea who would have these NOS? Russells probably, anyone else?

Found a couple on a local jumble here, and the frenchman at Kempton had some, but his stock has gone to British Only in Austria.

Sorry, can't help here, but they are around.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@wish.net

Nieuwe pagina 1