Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need help getting m20 started

After a year of searching, I finally got my hands on a 1944 M20! The bike was drained of fluids when I got it, so I wasn't able to get a lesson on starting it up.

I'm having issues getting a solid kick. I tried following what I could find online setting the compression and I just can't get the kick to "bite". It doesn't seem to want to catch the gear. Does anyone have a resource that can help me get the hang of it? Priming the carb and all the other stuff I've got the handle on.

Thanks,
Brian

email (option): berryman.brian@gmail.com

Re: Need help getting m20 started

Can't tell from your question if you are have a problem with using the compression release to stage the piston just past compression for a good spin through with the kick starter, of if you are having an issue with the kick starter engaging properly, of if the clutch might be slipping when trying to kick the engine through.... Can you provide any more information on the situation?

thanks,

JDE

email (option): teladelujo@ msn.com

Thanks JDE.

I shot a quick video. Hopefully this tells the story a bit more. As I kick down, it feels like it's not catching the gear.
http://youtu.be/QoLGWdb78O4

It sounds like the kick starter ratchet gears are not engaging. The outer gear box cover can be easily removed for inspection of the KS gears. I suggest this is your next move, the problem will most likely become obvious when the cover is removed. There is a official BSA m20 maintainence manual available online for download which has some information and drawings that are helpful.

Could also be a loose nut on the crankshaft transmission damper.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I would check the engine shock absorber nut in the primary chaincase before getting into the gearbox. I think that is the more likely fault....Also, while you are in there you can see how well the clutch is operating....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
I would check the engine shock absorber nut in the primary chaincase before getting into the gearbox. I think that is the more likely fault....Also, while you are in there you can see how well the clutch is operating....Ian

Much better diagnosis.... Easy to access and repair, and the more likely fault....I always jump to worst-case scenarios!

JDE

John Edwards
Ian Wright

Much better diagnosis.... Easy to access and repair, and the more likely fault....I always jump to worst-case scenarios!

JDE

Worse-case scenario is a broken crank or no engine internals !

First off, please forgive my naivete. I'm pretty new to a bike of this vintage.

I dug into the primary chain case and I believe the sound is the shock absorber. I snapped of pick of the part(s) that was doing this. http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5507/9081349784_6cfacdc36d.jpg

Whenever I give the kick some umph, the part in the picture doesn't stay locked and pulls out a little and spins around. This doesn't happen every time, but probably 7 out of 10 times. I can with a little lining up, get a proper kick, though I do have to do it gingerly.

G'day Brian.
Sounds like you need a new cush drive spring, the shock absorber should
only rise up the ramps a short way.

Thanks for the input.

I'm still getting my feet wet with finding good sources for replacement parts. Anyone have any favorites? I'm in the states, but don't mind going abroad once in a while if there's a good source.

Draganfly in the UK is pretty good, but they don't have any springs in stock at the moment.
There website is very useful though as they have the part catalogues that you can download to get the part numbers for reference.
http://www.draganfly.co.uk/

Hi Brian,

If the spring is the problem,
First of all, I think that you will be able to start it either
with the exhaust-lifter pressed, and leave it at the end of kick,
but this would need some experience,
Or, you can use a spacer under the cush nut, in order to compress the spring
and shorten the movement of the sliding part of the cush drive,
Till you have the spring, but anyway-

Here are what supposed to be a correct NOS springs on eBay.

Item number:281121444759

http://www.ebay.com/itm/bsa-motorcycle-m20-side-valve-military-model-500cc-clutch-center-spring-nos-/281121444759

Cheers,
Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1