Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
exhaust valve

Hi,
my exhaust valve turns out to be just a little bit bent.
Is there any way to straighten it ?
Has anyone ever done that before ? And if yes, how ?

Re: exhaust valve

How did you do that with a sidevalve?

Personally I wouldn't recommend it...and valves aren't that expensive....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Just for a laugh try straightening it with a hammer and let us know how you got on.

Hi,if you have access to a lathe with a collet chuck and a lump of lead or copper mallet ,a few taps will sort it but it will need re seating after.More worrying is why has it bent?
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hi Rik and Keith,
why is it bent, i don't know ! Strange indeed.
It is a spare valve i bought long ago, came with some other parts.
The thing is that the valve is furthermore in very good condition so i didn't want to throw it away.
Thanks very much for you reply !

Valves usually get bent on an M20 by getting a 'foriegn body' under them whilst closing..A piece of broken piston ring for example. Also, M20s can suffer from 'liner creep' or fretting of the liner in the cylinder. This can cause a small part of the 'lip' at the top of the liner to break away...Again this can find its way to the valve seat. I've even seen one bent by a piece of burnt carbon that has broken away from the piston crown or cylinder head...All of these problems are fortunately relatively rare occurrences and aren't anything to worry about too much...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Throw it away Michael, its not worth sitting along side the bike waiting for it to cool off after it nips up when hot I tried it years ago on a matchless 500,OHV, Just my two p worth Just it, Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1