Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tank Numbers, where can i get them?

Hi All, Really enjoy reading the forum. You all seem to be a helpful lot.
Could i please ask if anyone knows where to get the white numbers that go on the tank.
Thanks for helping.
Cheers
Tony

Re: Tank Numbers, where can i get them?

Hi Tony,

Try www.axholmesigns.co.uk

they make the stencils you looking for.
best is to use a 2pack paint to spray them on.
to make them fuel proof,in case of a fuel spill.

Hi Tony...Do a 'search' of the forum for previous detailed postings on this subject...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Marnic, right to the point, looks a good company to use.

Ian, with regard to do a search of the forum, i have tried and i have not come up with any suppliers or help. I can see you post on an almost daily basis so could you point me in the right direction as i am new to the forum.

Cheers
Tony

I got mine from www.axholmesigns.co.uk and used a hairdryer and a razor blade/craft knife on the curved bit to make it nice and neat.
I then used some VW Candy White as it was to hand and isn't a brilliant, eye-watering white and finished the entire tank in a matt 2K lacquer.
On one trip, with the bike in the back of the van, I didn't close the filler cap properly and didn't check the bike until the following morning where I found that a vast amount of petrol had covered the tank (plus seat & engine!) but a damp rag brought it back perfectly. Thank heavens for 2K clear coat.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Thanks for the pictures Lee, understanding wife i see! just the garage for me to work in !
Has anyone tried the pre cut sticky numbers that www.axholmesigns.co.uk supply on the tank?

Tony, you're on the rivet-counter's forum and whilst there is some suggestion for transfer census numbers at certain times, stick-on vinyl numbers certainly didn't exist.

My feeling is that with the double curvature of a fuel tank, there will always be wrinkles.

Number form varied between manufacturers and contracts. Many were sign written. You'll get perfectly good results stencilling using Humbrol enamel and a dryish brush. The brush strokes are visible on a number of surviving tanks. No need to worry about the odd blemish. it adds to the authenticity.

Thanks for posting those photos Lee.
the last one I've saved and will help me a lot when I start to rebuild my wm20

I have tested my wife's patience on occasion but I waited until she was out before I painted the tank and cleaned my engine bolts in the dishwasher - they helped bring the pizza cutter up lovely...

I did give the game away when she was on a hen do in Tenerife as she sent me a photo of the girls boozing it up in the bar as I was at home looking after my 5 year-old boy, Charlie. So I thought I'd send her a photo of what I was doing - see below.

She didn't seem to see the funny side of it...

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

That made me laugh Lee, i remember my first bike rebuild, upstairs bedroom!
dont think i could get away with it now, thinking about it dont think i could carry it upstairs now!

It's OK building it in an upstairs bedroom, no prob at all. The difficulty is getting it down the stairs when it's finished! It started off slow but speeded up a bit so I applied the brake, result, all the stair carpet tacks popped out and I was on a magic carpet ride to the bottom of the stairs!!

I agree - tank numbers were applied in all kinds of ways and styles. The way I do it is to use those vinyl numberplate numbers which are readily available at bike jumbles. Paint on a white stripe where the numbers go; apply numbers and then spray on the green. Then just peel off the vinyls. V easy. Ferg

Which brings me to question as to what is the best location to place those numbers

Henk has put some M20 information here.

http://www.wdbsa.nl/tanknumbers.htm

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron, missed that one!

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1