Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Normandy 2014...

Things are moving ahead with planning, and 'booking on' for the 2014 Normandy Tour is due to commence at the beginning of August. Booking on will run from then until the last day of March 2014.
I'm sure there will be many people with questions regarding the details and more information will be made available at the appropriate time..So for now, please don't mail me with those queries...This is merely an update to let everyone know that the 'countdown' starts then!.... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Normandy 2014...

11 months & 3 weeks to go. I'm looking forward to it.

The '55th.' trip...Not many bikes then!..The chap in front of the second lorry landed on D Day +1 with the Intelligence Corps... photo 55th001.jpg...Ian

Thanks Ian, great picture.

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Ian Wright

I'm sure there will be many people with questions regarding the details and more information will be made available at the appropriate time..

Ian, Old Chap, if you're happy with the arrangements then I'm happy too !

If only everyone was so easily pleased... ...Ian

Turn up on the 6th of june 2014 on a wartime wd bike and have a good day .

Heu, I guess the date "70 for 70" will be on the 6th ?
It is just to make some planning at work.
Can someone give some feedback please ?
Kind regards,
Cris

email (option): 6cdo@skynet.be

Hi Chris..The 'Tour' will run from the 1st. to the 10th. of June (inclusive)..You can do as much or as little as you wish as long as you are in attendance on the 6th..D Day....Ian

That is want I need !
Many thanks and I'll be there !

email (option): 6cdo@skynet.be

I'm doing everything I canto be there. I cannot afford to bring eithe of my bikes, but Hans has tentatively offered to loan me his. Just in case, having a backup loaner would be cool.

I'm collecting kit at the moment too. Any help there would be appreciated.

Floor flops (or a couch) would be appreciated too.

Cheers all

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Ian, Can you confirm where we will be "parading" ?
As the main official location for 2014 is going to be St Mere Eglise.

http://www.d-day70years.org/parade.php

regards

Jim

Can't imagine that parade will have anything to do with us Jim. Wasn't that John Wayne and Red Button's domain? I'm sure we'll be at Arromanches on D Day.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Jim...We will parade at Arromanches again, as it was the main town on the British and Canadian landing areas and the part taken by those troops must be remembered as well.....We will of course visit the American landing areas and St. Mere Eglise 'in force' at some point during the tour.
I would suggest that the event at St. Mere Eglise is the 'main official location' for the American commemorations, and not the focus for the commemorations of the 70th. as a whole...Ian

There is also talk of the 'Bayeux Parade' being reinstated in its original form..that is, through the town and with British vehicles. We did liberate it after all..I thought it was an insult when British vehicles were actually banned from the parade a few years back. The later 'parade' round the ring road (built by the British Army) was actually a half hour ride through a traffic jam. IMO not worthy either of the description 'parade' or a fit memorial to the events that took place..If the event is reinstated in its entirety we will probably attend if we can arrange an 'invite'..Ian

My Dad was hospitalised in Bayeux on 2nd July 1944 with lacerations and a dislocated shoulder. I don't know what he did. Were the calvados cellars liberated by then ? A parade there would be nice.

Ian Wright
Hi Jim...We will parade at Arromanches again, as it was the main town on the British and Canadian landing areas and the part taken by those troops must be remembered as well.....We will of course visit the American landing areas and St. Mere Eglise 'in force' at some point during the tour.
I would suggest that the event at St. Mere Eglise is the 'main official location' for the American commemorations, and not the focus for the commemorations of the 70th. as a whole...Ian

Thanks for clearing that up Ian.

Hi Rik...It was probably his party trick that went wrong..You know the one...starting a 16H with your hand.. ...Ian

hi all,when i was over in normandy this june staying at adrian cox's at arromanche it was announced that that the official ceremonies will be held at sword beach end at ouistreham with the presidents and top nobs in attendance.

email (option): adriancrossan@tiscali.co.uk

Hi Adrian...That's good news...They won't be in our way and access to Arromanches should be that bit easier...Ian

Ian
Don't tell them about your small gathering of one or two bikes , tell them its invitation only
keep to there end of the beach.

John

email (option): John@fieldandrurallife.com

I think the announcement Adrian mentioned might be to compensate for a Normandy Tourist Board f**k up which left Ouistreham, Coleville Montgomery and Sword beach entirely out of the 2014 planning and didn't even include Sword Beach on the various maps as part of the landing area...OOPS! ...Ian

Hi Ian, not sure why you are intending to close entries as early as the end of March. As you know the NOBS are notorious for late entry. Have you decided on the name for the cap badge yet? Is it going to be 70X70? Cheers John

Not sure how I book myself in, but can you please put me down on your list, will do all I can to get there,
Just need the uniform.
Julian

email (option): 79Aust@sky.com

Hi John...The end of March is 6-7 weeks from my leaving date for the 70th. and there will be plenty to do in that time. Of the 144 entries last time I had to deal with well over 30 in the last week. That was just three weeks before leaving....and those all had to be processed, paperwork sent out/returned etc. etc...There may also be quite a few more to do in total for the 70th. so from my point of view, postponing things to the 'last minute' wasn't overly helpful.......
As a consequence, I am leaving a greater margin this time, to preserve my sanity, to make more time for my own preparations and for dealing with any other last minute problems which I'm fairly confident will arise...(there were plenty on the 65th.)
I guess the NOBS are going to have to get organised a bit earlier.....Our planning will have taken 2 years in total by 2014, bearing in mind the campsite at Etreham was booked and a deposit paid in 2012 and the 'booking on' process alone runs for 8 months...
The 'prototype' caps are being made at the moment..I'll post a pic. on the forum when I get the first examples for approval...
Julian...Keep an eye on the forum in early August, details will be posted then about 'booking on' when the list opens....Ian

Ian, thanks for the explanation. The NOBS will be there in force and are very much looking forward to it. We also,appreciate all of you organising. Cheers John

It can't be done without the participation of the NOBS as well John..We're less than 12 months away now so....'The games afoot!'...Ian

Looking forward to it Ian
Tony fromt north

Hi Tony...I hear you are the only 'Lancashire Lad' at Etreham and Jim has come over all 'Navy'.(it's a cake and a** party).. ...Look forward to seeing you both then...Ian

Got the keep Rob in order if he comes in square rig this time!

Nieuwe pagina 1