Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Alternate clutch

Off topic I know but:-
Back in the day (60's) I seem to remember that you could change the clutch on a BSA swinging arm gearbox for a Norton or was it a Triumph if you put in a mainshaft from a plunger framed model. I remember doing it and it was a straight changeover. Can anyone confirm this and what clutch was it or am I starting to loose it these days! Many thanks

Re: Alternate clutch

Fitting the main shaft from a plunger gearbox into a swinging arm box enables you to fit a standard Norton clutch ie 88 or 99.So your memory is still good.

And using the BSA/Triumph clutch adapter you can fit a Triumph unit to the standard BSA box...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Many thanks the two Ians.
I was beginning to think I had imagined it. I'm toying with the idea of building a special, I've never done it before. Always been an originality freak but I relish the freedom to do what "I" want for once without worrying about what colour the horn wire should be!

Careful Kieth..it can be addictive...I like my military bikes reasonably standard..Everything else I build these days is a special..Love 'em...Ian

Here is a link to a prior thread on the issue:

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1178548&cmd=show

hope this helps.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin

Note that my comments in that thread regarding the adapter were with regard to fitting a Triumph clutch to a pre swinging arm BSA....With the swinging arm box (for which the adapter was designed) no modifications are required to fit the adapter and Triumph clutch as these were standard parts for those models from the mid 50s onwards...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1