Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Off topic: This A10. Dodes it worth it?..

Hi all,
An advice needed..

A guy wants to sell an A10 1971 with loads of spares.
I will try to post few pictures by the weekend,
I only got this bad low quality photo right now.

The bike was altered in many ways:
The rear mudguard was cut short, the front suspension is different,
I do not know what it is from, looks like “Honda”?
The downpipes are different, mufflers are “Harley Sportster”,
The guy said that the pistons are domed high-compression,
It has an Amal 900 series carb, the engine should be 750cc now, the dynamo replaced with an alternator (Alton) with a belt drive,
The clutch is off a Triumph, and so is the flywheel, as the guy said that the original one is notorious for breaking..
It had been in his possession for some 40 years, has a clean title and MOT.
I took it for a spin-
It always starts at first kick, Very solid ad tight
And accelerates like a missile..

My question is:
Does it worth it?

Thanks, Noam.

photo BSAA10_zpse14cf6a7.jpg

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Re: Off topic: This A10. Dodes it worth it?..

Run Noam, run........!

Hi Noam,you did'nt say how much he wants.I think the last A10 was made in 1962
then came the A65 until 1969 then the oil in frame A65 in 1971 so he is a bit out
with his dates.If its for a couple of hundred ,maybe its a project,
don't get your fingers burned.
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Is there anything on it that's original?? I'm surprised it runs at all!

Is it worth restoring to original? Most likely no, unless it is a Rocket Gold Star or other Spitfire model. Parts to make it original will be expensive (tank is off an A65 or B25, front end is wrong, shocks, seat etc. all wrong.
Are you looking for a "custom bar hopper" without regard to originality? Price would determine if it's worth it, if that is what you are looking for.
In my opinion, it looks like it was thrown together with whatever was laying around, and this usually signals somebody cleaning up their garage for profit only. It would have to be relatively cheap and mechanically sound and would need a thorough going over to make sure it is OK to ride.

Hi Noam...'Everything is right at the right price'...Personally, as long as the price reflects the lack of originality I wouldn't worry too much about the various cycle parts...They could be changed, partially changed or not changed at all if you are happy to run it as it is...
I would concentrate on what has been done to the engine, when the bike last had any serious work done on it mechanically and what that was. Whether the cylinders and crank have material left on them for more rebores/regrinds, when the mag/dynamo and electrics were last looked at and whether it all works correctly...you know...the important stuff!....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hello everybody,

Thanks allot for your inputs!

I checked the ad again, just to be sure, and yes, it is sold as 1971.. Strange, is it the wrong frame?..
I came to learn how my WM20s should look like, more or less,
And though I am far from being a rivet counter I try to keep them as original as I can,
(1 civy, 1 Army) minus safety Items like better horn, mirrors. Rear light,
But I really do not have a clue about this one. All I know is what the seller told me..
As you guys mentioned, I guess that it would not really worth to bring it to original state/look,
as most parts would need to be replaced. One thing I do know is that it does fly..
As to the price, he is asking for around 3600 UK Pounds / 4400 Euros,
but I guess it will go for around 2500 Pounds / 3000 Euros..

I will try to ask and get few more details, and maybe get few more good photos by weekend, if he will show to the weekend meeting again.
Thanks ALLOT !!

Noam.

hi Noam,
just to give you a benchmark,
i'm seeling my plunger A10, 1954 version, running and road legal, scruffy but unmolested...i'm asking £3k !

so that bitsa for £3 1/2 is over the odds....

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Hi Chris and thanks,

From what I see, the prices in the UK and IL are more or less at the same range,
Give or take few hundreds.
(A bit more expensive here, usually, if you rule out the ones which ask for £7000 for a restored WM20..)
So the price you gave does give me a price frame.
Do you deliver internationally? LOL..

Thanks,
Noam.

Nieuwe pagina 1