Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Some good news and some not-so good news

With work and other distractions I'm a bit late dragging the M20 from the garage this year but after a good clean and some fresh oil she fired-up second kick. I can't normally fire it up second kick so I was impressed.
Checking the levels before start-up I found it had wet sumped and a good deal of oil had also found it's way into the chain case. I took it for a spin round the block and the clutch now slips like mad - I'm guessing some of the oil has crept past the clutch plate dome and contaminated the plates.

I have yet to take it to bits but wondered if my diagnosis sounds likely? If so, is it possible to clean clutch plates or is it best to stick a new set in?

Thanks in advance, Lee.

Ps. Went to the Vintage Nostalgia Show (25 mins from Salisbury) yeasterday - lovely do and lots of vintage transport and folks dressed in period gear. I did feel sorry for the guy on the Royal Enfield Cafe Racer who was asked to repeatedly rev his bike in the arena as it sounded so nice. Well, it did until it let go with an expensive sounding rattle. Poor bugger.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Some good news and some not-so good news

Take the plates out and give them a good wash in solvent of your choice.

Next weekend is the annual Wilts Agricultural Preservation Group show at Rainscombe Park Oare, A345 6 miles south of Marlborough.

Great friendly event, on probably the best site in the west, normally very good weather, on chalk so even if it rains it drys quickly.

Usually a selection of military stuff, last few years one group showed up with a full search light outfit , jeeps, and a Quad with gun and trailer.

plus usual steam engines, tractors, chuff chuffs, HGVs cars etc.

camping on site.

email (option): deadsheds@yahoo.com

Hi Lee,

The same happed to me with the clutch few years ago.
I took the external clutch/chain cover off, and while pressing the clutch lever,
I poured gasoline on the clutch assembly, and even better if you can get someone to kick the starter
At the same time (again, with the clutch lever pressed) so the gas will wash the clutch plates better.
Since I did it, no slipping or dragging at all.

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Good trick Noam. I avoid all complications via shortcuts as well!

Thanks for the tips. After removing the domed clutch cover I'm amazed at just how much oil it was holding. Seemingly more than was in the oil tank itself.
It's all apart now, cleaned and ready to go back together.

I boil the plates in a strong water/detergent mix if they get contaminated with oil. Refit when thoroughly dried out..

Just as a matter of interest was there much of a burr on the clutch plates that have the external 'tang' when you stripped it?..I noticed when I stripped mine recently this was quite pronounced. I have worked out the various thicknesses of the plates and have calculated that I could reduce the overall number of plates but make thicker and more durable versions of those plates whilst still keeping the overall plate 'pile' within workable limits..Strangely, I have found the plates with the internal tang hardly wear at all in comparison....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

I replaced both fibre and steels when I rebuilt the old girl and as I've only covered 750 miles, the plates still look good with no burrs. Getting a clutch full of oil is doubly frustrating when its so new!
I put it back together this evening but as I've 'helped' the cork gaskets with some RTV, I'm not brave enough to put oil in until it's fully cured.
All being well I'll try it tomorrow.

Ps. With the D-Day coverage on TV and friends that are over there at the mo, 2014 doesn't seem all that far away. Better get the M20 ship-shape for a few French miles.

Nieuwe pagina 1