Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear Footpegs M20

Hi all, just starting to do some work on the Beeza and want to check some details. I own WM20 26522, and a couple of years ago Rob was kind enough to give be a date of late 1940 or early 1941 and contract C7287. The rear part of the frame has got the footpeg brackets welded on and the bracket for the field stand. Would my bike have had the footpegs, if not, would I need to source a difrerent rear end or could I just grind the brackets off? I don't intend to carry any pillon passengers. Any thoughts?
Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: Rear Footpegs M20

Hi Dave,that seems a pretty drastic move.The frame sections especially the rear are getting pretty rare now thanks to the chopper boys.
I think i would leave the lugs there,they wont be in the way,tell any rivet counters it was a REME quick fix and maybe one day you will get a swap.
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

As far as I can tell the foot peg lugs were fitted to pre war civy models, allowing the owner to purchase pegs and pillion seat as an optional extra. For some reason the lugs were deleted on military models for a very short time.1940? Perhaps Henk or Leon can confirm this period. As it happens, my frame is one without the lugs. BSA made a bolt on version for these frames and since I wanted to bring my bike to a later war spec with panniers and pillion. I had to fit these brackets. Lots of bikes where retro fitted like this during the war.
As Rick says. I wouldn't be in a hurry to grind them off. Ron

photo M20079-2_zps52f4d495.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I'm a rivet-counter (although not of the BSA persuasion) and I would be thoroughly impressed if a WD motorcycle comprising parts from various years were to be displayed as a REME rebuild, preferably with a 'rebuild' contract number.

Ex-works is, in my opinion, less important than 'period correct' when dealing with WD motorcycles.

The possibility of the rear subframes appearing on rebuilds from the other contracts must have been a real one.

Thanks Rick and Ron. Yes I guess that it would be a drastic move to grind them off. From what Rob told me ages ago, my bike went through a late War rebuild, so I guess that it may have had a new rear end with footpegs fitted then? Ron, I have seen bikes fitted with your type of footpegs. Here's hoping someone might want to swap. Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Mine is 43 model bought surplus from the Aust Army ( matching engine & frame nos ) and it has pillion pegs.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

I have not seen any footpegs for sale lately so am going to make them for
1941 BSA M20 , has anyone got any measurments which i can use.
Thanks Jeff

email (option): m90disco@fsmail.net

Nieuwe pagina 1