Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WTK Clutch hub extractor puller

I need to know the proper procedure on the use of clutch hub extractor puller on a M20.

email (option): vhalftrack@aol.com

Re: WTK Clutch hub extractor puller

Charlie. Remove the clutch dome, large castle nut, spring, plates and central sleeve nut. Screw the hub extractor to the hub and tighten the bolt in the middle against the main shaft. Ron

photo IndianS162_zps87fa8c0a.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron
Did that. Will not budge.

email (option): vhalftrack@aol.com

Hi Charlie...You'll need to 'shock' the puller to dislodge the clutch sleeve from the gearbox taper...So, screw the outer of the extractor all the way onto the clutch sleeve thread...next screw in the centre bolt enough to put some pressure on it, then give the head of the bolt a blow with the copper end of a copper/hide mallet. Tighten the centre bolt again and repeat..You will find after a couple/few times it will break free from the taper.
Do NOT attempt to just wind the bolt in...you may well strip the extractor threads....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Tried shocking it. Did it a few times. No luck. Seems to be pushing the rod.

Pull the push rod out first. Have you removed the sleeve nut from inside the centre of the clutch sleeve. Tighten the puller bolt hard against the main shaft and as Ian said:- A good whump with a heavy lead or copper hammer. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Success..!!!! Thank you all so much.

For future reference you do not need to remove the big clutch pressure spring to remove the clutch from the bike.
This is one of the big advantages of the single spring clutch.
You need to remove :-
the dome
the lifting plate ( the six small nuts )
the sleeve nut inside the hub ( holds the hub on the mainshaft )
the pushrod .

Thus the clutch can be removed & replaced as a single unit.
The correct hub puller has an external thread that screws into the internal thread on the hub.
A lot of people sell the 6 spring clutch puller claiming it is for single spring clutches.
This puller screws on to the same external thread that the clutch spring retaining ring screws onto.
Thus to use it you have to dissasemble the clutch on the bike which I find a PIA comparred to doing it on the bench.
Yes the hub is threaded both inside & outside..
The puller shown in Ron's photo is the wrong one for single spring clutches it is a 6 spring puller.

I have found that tightening the center bolt on the puller with a rattle gun usually will shock the center off the mainshaft without the need to "whack" the end of the puller with a hammer.
I had a box full of inner gearbox plates with stuffed bearing housings from being "gently" thumped with a 20 lb hammer.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1