Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
engine #

HI, i am looking at trading my 74 norton commando for this 1940? M20, the engine # seems altered, does anyone have any idea why? thanks
kevin
B.C. Canada

OK I dont know how to post pics.....anyone?

email (option): taybrig@shaw.ca

Re: engine #

Hi Kevin,

I guess that the engine No was changed in order to fit the engine on another bike than the original,
And make it fit to the papers. That’s what usually happen.

In order to post a photo,
Register for free to www.photobucket.com
Then you can upload the photo.
When it is there, you will see (Usually on the bottom right corner of the page)
An HTML CODE. Copy it and paste it in your post, and post it.

When the post is opened, the photo will show.

Cheers!
Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Hi, here are the pics, is the engine # altered??
 photo DSCN1219.jpg
 photo DSCN1214.jpg
 photo DSCN1235.jpg
 photo DSCN1231.jpg
 photo DSCN1217.jpg

Judging from the file marks on the left and from the way it looks-
(Spacing and style which doesn’t seem to me as the correct style exactly- The numbers are fatter, the “2” is smaller than the rest, and no letters)
It was probably changed.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Swapping a Commando for it ? I have a Commando and a 16H. They don't really serve the same purpose and I'd hate to have to choose one or the other.

The engine number does look altered and I'd also be concerned by the amount of chrome and the odd headlamp. They are all fairly typical of bikes from the Far East and that is often a clue to internal condition.

Does the bike have paperwork bearing that number ? If not and you're planning a restoration then substituting the cases with a pair that have original stamps would not be too expensive.

he is asking $4500 for it and has owned it about a month so i dont know that he has much history for it, he swapped another bike for it, i just cant tell what was done to that number or why

I would have to really love the bike to want to swap a Commando for it and with the things that have been pointed out I wouldn't do it.... unless the Commando is in a similar condition with filed off engine numbers and incorrect parts.

I'm sure you can get better for your money.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I'm a 'BSA man' but would think twice about that deal...The bike shows signs of coming from the middle east and if that's the case it is probably pretty worn out.
Of course any deal is right at the right price but my advice would be to approach this one with extreme caution. If you can't make a deal that is definitely favourable to you, walk away....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I think one of the difficulties for us over the pond is that Commandos are quite expensive here (and the US seems to have a surplus as they fetch less in dollars than the UK value in pounds) and WDM20s are probably quite rare in Canada.

Based on what we've seen lately, there are still unrestored ex-BAOR M20s coming out of the woodwork in the US. I'd much rather go for one of those assuming import costs and procedures aren't prohibitive.

Nieuwe pagina 1