Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is this BSA M20 any good?

Hello fellow BSA enthusiasts. I was unfamiliar with BSA motorcycles up until the moment I noticed this beauty parked in an old garage here in Cairo. It is a 1939 M20 that's been repainted 3 years ago to the color seen these pictures. It was originally a dark green. The bike starts right up and all is functional aside from the speedometer. Its been started every week since its been kept in the garage.

The rear wheel in these picture was temporarily placed on the bike to complete its look. Original rear wheel spokes were being adjusted at the time these pictures were taken.

He's asking for $2400. That is a substantial amount for a BSA here in Egypt but then again, the internet is illuminating them to the rampant increase in value of these motorcycles abroad.

I am a newbie and don't know how to gauge its inherent value/condition/worthiness for export back home. I am also unsure as to wether all the parts on this bike are truly original as the seller promises they are and if any may be missing...Your input would be greatly appreciated!

photo 21_zps90040c72.jpg

photo 2_zpsf3ddfc86.jpg

photo 3_zps4de17c30.jpg

photo 4_zpsc75cdd8e.jpg

photo 5_zps283a8ac4.jpg

photo 6_zps3d4fba11.jpg

photo 7_zpsc91b00c6.jpg

photo 8_zpsc77181ba.jpg

photo 9_zpsbfd5e530.jpg

photo 10_zpsa4d49e55.jpg

photo 12_zps98f7d519.jpg

photo 13_zpsb75f124c.jpg

photo 14_zpsb3fa9d81.jpg

photo 15_zps0a5bedf2.jpg

photo 16_zps31373167.jpg

photo 17_zps3a55817d.jpg

photo 18_zps5cbbb045.jpg

photo 19_zps2ad2fbb5.jpg

photo 20_zps84cdb7ec.jpg

email (option): pertewomar@gmail.com

Re: Is this BSA M20 any good?

Hi Omar, most parts looks like original WDM20 to me as far I can judge that from the pictures, although it looks more like a later war model. '42-'45.

If you quote the frame and enginenumber the date can probably be determined here on the forum, clear pictures are the best as re-stamps can mostly be uncovered.

The front frame has a sidecar lug on the rear but I can't discover one on the front (on the rear of the headlug) which is strange to me.

At a quick glance: the carburettor, front mudguard stay and shape of the handlebar are not original and the frontmudguard has been cut, also the rear corner of the tank looks to be messed with, probably to fill up the space of the original later wartype cutout tank ??

Price looks not bad to me according to the prices here although much depends on the mechanical state which can't be seen from pictures of course.

Also check the play on the frontfork links, that can be a good sign of proper maintenance or neglect. And be careful, it looks like most bikes from Egypt have had a hard life..

Good luck and keep asking !

Regards, Michiel / Netherlands

There are laws about the removal of historic vehicles and other items from Egypt, so check first.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks Michiel, I truly appreciate your timely feedback!

As The people of Egypt, It's definitely seen better days and would require a substantial amount of attention to bring it back to its former glory. Based on family / acquaintances here in Cairo, it's a steep price to pay for a BSA in such a condition, let alone one in this shape. I do however get emotional over the thought of fixing one of these up.

Onto another possible specimen...I've taken note of everything you've mentioned and will make sure that I keep you informed of better finds that I hope to come across.

Cheers mate!

Hi Omar, buy it and bring it home, you won 't regret it.

Regards, Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Hey Rob,

I credit your knowledge in the matter... Regulations here are however applicable to a certain degree depending on who you deal with

I've been thinking about it for weeks Sven. I do however believe that I will land a better bike at a better price than this one. I'll definitely keep you informed!

Thanks for the boost

Omar, BSA's despatch books for 1939 are full of 600cc M21s despatched to Forsyth (the BSA agent) in Cairo. These were machines purchased by the Egyptian Government. I'd say that if you can find one of those with it's original large fuel tank, valanced mudguards etc. then you'd have something intrinsically more interesting and where you'd have to worry less about the odd $100 on the price as it will have a rarity value.

Although prices for M20s have risen, there are enough late-war rebuild machines to generally be certain that there will be better buys out there. Don't leave it too long though...

Several of us have access to the BSA ledgers which detail these pre- and early-war sales so the advice earlier to ask here first with photos of the numbers is certainly good. Too many numbers have been re-stamped, for all sorts of reasons over the last seventy five years.

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1