Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wd Royal Enfield Cleve

One for you Royal Enfield Boys. Sorry but my photobucket account will not let me post the actual image on the WD forum. I have cut and pasted html code into browser with no joy. Would one of you kind guys be able to , Lex, Henk or Ron ?
Regards Derick

http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/Boadicea44/media/29444C88-E0F0-41AF-A5EA-30BE46D3CA94-466-00000109D40469EE_zps071452f9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=7

email (option): boadicea33tst@gmx.co.uk

Re: wd Royal Enfield Cleve

hi Derick,nice photos,what's the gun barrel thingy?looks like a mortar of some kind,cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hi Rick,
Its a heavy naval gun that was buried down at the shoreline in Stornoway, in the western Isles. The site is now used by the hydro electric energy company, and was unearthed by a JCB when laying cables . The faint date of casting on the gun looks like 1840 or 1849 (its difficult to make out). The berrel was removed when the gun scrapped, and the after end dumped into a hole in the shingle, presumably because of its weight. Considering its been buried there for over 100 years, it is in remarkable shape. The Victorians sure made things to last!
Regards Derick.

Here is the picture you asked to post. A WD/CO....Very nice. Ron

WD Royal Enfield Cleve photo 29444C88-E0F0-41AF-A5EA-30BE46D3CA94-466-00000109D40469EE_zps071452f9.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hello Derick,

Very nice picture, thanks for sharing!

Census number 5107301 is frame number #9101 (this one is not in my Register unfortunately...). Despatched from the factory in June 1944.

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

And the breech end! Needs some wire wool and high build primer Ron

Naval Gun unearthed at Battery Point photo null_zps03f73dc9.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: WD Royal Enfield Cleve

Thanks Ron for posting the picture, and thank you Jan for information also. The WD Motorcycle Forum and its members are the best!
Regards
Derick

Nieuwe pagina 1