Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Joys of a Sidecar

I wonder if any of you are secretly harbouring a desire to experience the joys of riding a sidecar outfit before you meet your maker. Life is just too short to miss this wonderful and joyous experiance.

Well, if the answer to this is yes then here is your chance. I have a Chinese Chang ( which is a copy of a WW2 BMW R7i but with 12 volt electrics and an electric starter) attached to a light weight sidecar which is taxed and ready to go. It has lights and indicators fitted and goes really well because of the light sidecar. It even has a reverse gear, which is a real hoot. It is all taxed and ready to go and has been out for a ride three times this week. The sidecar body needs a bit of a repair at the front due to a nudge with a telegraph post but it is just a crack and could be fixed easily ( I was not riding it at the time but sitting in the chair) With a bit of TLC and some Wheremacht paint it would really look the part.

So, why am I selling it. The answer is simply that I already have a WD Big 4 and a WD Matchless Model X sidecar outfit and just do not have the space form3 outfits.

Email me for further information if you are interested.

email (option): tinley@btinternet.com

Re: The Joys of a Sidecar

John I think you should change your ad to ask if anyone wishes to meet their maker if so buy your outfit Having owned several outfits over the years I have rolled a M20 combo, put a A10 combo into a river and several other mishaps, but must admit they are good fun and most of my incidents were the result of trying to push it to the limit. I even passed my test on a A10 combo.I still have a chassis and a nice lightweight fibre body which would go well on one of my B33s but as you say they take up space.I like the idea of a reverse gear which is handy as I have sat in a line of traffic only to have the car in front reverse . good luck with your sale.. Dave.

What is it about outfits and telegraph poles ? . My only experience of driving one involved a Norton-forked A10 with a box of bricks on the float...and a telegraph pole

My first experience was when I was just 17 with a Sunbeam S7 outfit......and a lamp post Same year and a Tiger Cub and a different lamp post. I think I must have the genes of a moth!!

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Yes, I have also managed to headbutt a telegraph pole whilst riding an Ariel trials outfit and been thrown into a bramble patch by an somersaulting B33 combo, luckily I was wearing a D.R coat which saved me from injury.
But sidecars are brilliant! I used to have a Busmar Astral, ride to a party, get slaughtered and crashout in the sidecar. Happy days.
Cheers Mick

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Not trying to get the attention away from the attempted sale here, but my first side-car run on a Norton 500 plunjerframe model 7 twin with Steib LS 250 sidecar had only one missed corner, which ende into contact with the local Court (Gerechtsgebouw). Several mishaps later I did overcome the initial error of braking when things went too fast, and thus loosing all possiblities of correcting what was then quickly becoming unavoidable.

After a while, I thouroghly enjoyed sidecars, and still want to get one on the road (possibly a 1939 600 cc Ariel with left hand side-car), but time and funds...

Rob

the fun comes if the sidecar is on the outside sitting in it with large lorries comming towards you while you are sitting in a flimsy box i still have nightmares 40 years on

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1