Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Non leaking fuel taps

After struggling with my 'original' fuel taps for years in order to stop the fuel leaking I contacted Joost from jvmotors (www.jvmotors.nl) to order some BAP fuel taps. Joost told me he also has the 'original design' brass fuel taps that don't leak. They have been produced abroad to Joost' standards, are ready to fit, so threads are suitable for BSA, Norton etc.
I told him to give it a try and if it works I would put it on the forum.
Last saturday we had a ride along the Dutch Waterline with some 60 WW2 military vehicles in 'Dutch weather conditions' (same as 'UK weather conditions..)
During the day I checked the taps several times to find no leakages at all!
Beside the new look the only visible difference is the 'lasered' text 'push on' and 'push off' where original taps are engraved.
Price ex postage is only €19,95 for the tap and €1 for the ring. You can contact Joost on info@jvmotors.nl
benzinekraan met viton 003
benzinekraan met viton 002
benzinekraan met viton 001

Regards,
Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Re: Non leaking fuel taps

And all you actually need to do is use the right material and your old taps will work just fine. I am using these rubber like corks for years already and no leaking taps since.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Same here. I bought new corks from De Groot and they are working fine.

I'm sure that it must be possible to use original taps, but in my case these are the solution. After 12 years struggling with (even NOS) original taps, corks etc I'm happy to share this on the forum.

I've used all options offered for my original taps and I appreciate all the effort everyone puts in. This is a new option and I think €19,95 is a bargain.

Another question; does anyone know where to get the Dunlop Speedway military tyres? Apparently all sources have dried up.

Thanks,
Sven

Ok Henk,were do you get, as you say rubber like corks?did you make them,do you know the name of the material,thank`s

I see lots of people use these bap taps! I have just bought a pair for my TRIBSA but will rebuild the originals as these bap taps look like they are from a 70s jap bike and look totally out of place even if they dont leak, maybe fit them to my lawn mower . I have original ENOTS taps on all my bikes with no leakages.On the slide / pull type taps I file the body down slightly to take up the wear on sliding part, but must admit if the body /slide is worn a lot then they will cause leaks Dave..

Hi Henk it would be interesting to see this material

I have changed the cork again after soaking in fuel for a day & have now left the taps immersed in fuel whilst I'm on another work trip this week - I bought the corks at kempton but when you look at them there's none of them the same size ?

Someone gave me material sometime ago which looked like rubber imoregnated cork but it was too thin to use & the fittings bottomed out - if it had been thicker it might have done te job for me - it resembled primary cover gasket ?

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

John, you can boil the corks in water, then soak them in oil if you don't plan to use them immediately, they swell up quicker this way

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

These repro taps have viton 'corks' inside. Perhaps they are seperately available?

Regards,
Sven

always keep your corks damp never let them dry out they dont seem to be the same again when you resoak them

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

I had new made taps on my m20. No matter how I tried (corks, tape), they kept leaking. The petrol smell was terrible, to the point of dangerous.
I also had a very old original tap lying around in the barn for over 20 years or more and put it in without even checking, cleaning,cooking corks or whatever.
And it works fine for some years now! Unbelievable, but true.

Still haven't managed to start a thread on my new M20 I picked up last week..

New re build, everything is working and running fine, however one petrol taps was leaking, without knowing as much as you guys I have bought some "Loctite Lock & Seal 243" comes in a small tube, I read somewhere using this will fix the problem. And can be undone with no problems??

Going to use this tonight after work. Ok?

Regards
Scott

email (option): s-leader@hotmail.co.uk

Scott I'll be interested to know how that works! I can't see how it would set with petrol involved? Also it's a moving part. New corks are usually the only answer to cure leaking original taps and the type of cork is relative to the amount of success. All my bikes have original taps and I do persevere with the problem......Maybe one day I'll fit modern taps.......Just not ready to give in yet! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

See on ebay you can buy small pieces of viton rubber sheets in thickness 1mm, 1.5mm,2mm, can some one tell me what thicknesss are the corks, I am guessing maybe 1.5mm?

is the tap leaking when both taps are switched off or does it leak when the other one is turned on ie leaking from underneath this happened to me it was the slider was worn on the underside brought a scruffy one from auto jumble works perfectly

I always made up my own petrol tap corks from good quality wine bottle corks - added advantage being the need to imbibe the contents to free up a cork! So then I changed over to using the plastic corks they now use - even better! and so far, no ethanol issues. However, I actually now need a pair of taps and have sourced some from Steven Surbey at AMC Classic spares who has nickel plated ones at £19 each - NOT British made, but he says they are OK.

Ron Pier
Scott I'll be interested to know how that works! I can't see how it would set with petrol involved? Also it's a moving part. New corks are usually the only answer to cure leaking original taps and the type of cork is relative to the amount of success. All my bikes have original taps and I do persevere with the problem......Maybe one day I'll fit modern taps.......Just not ready to give in yet! Ron

Ron,

I checked both top and bottom threads, going to the tank & fuel pipe, however it seams the leak is coming from the tap itself. So I would guess it's the cork. Trouble is it's dripping down the pipe and onto the mag..
Although it's not a lot and just wrap kitchen roll around the tap to soak up the petrol.. can anyone help me to fix this little problem? is it just a matter of buying a new tap or can you get inside to replace the washer.

Regards
Scott

email (option): s-leader@hotmail.co.uk

dont let petrol get into your mag it will wash away the insulation i know it cost me money the repairer said that my mag was full of petrol and they why it will not work and i have only had it rebuilt the year before

High voltage magnetos and petrol don't really mix well!! Never mind washing out the lube in the bearings or insulation damage the whole lot could go up in smoke!

Nieuwe pagina 1