Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
On the subject of cams

Anyone got any ideas about this cam? I found this one in my “cam box” and have no idea where it came from. There’s no bush in it so I haven’t measured the lift.

photo unknowncam1_zps860e52af.jpg

Why the strange lobe form, or is it just something someone has cobbled together? It looks like it would result in rather "rapid" valve opening and closing.

Here compared to a 65-2420.

photo unknowncam2_3_zpsf5351f05.jpg

photo unknowncam2_zpse8f7475c.jpg

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Re: On the subject of cams

Hi Pete...It looks like this one has been ground to reduce the base circle diameter (which increases overall lift) but hasn't had the flanks blended in afterwards. A 'step' on the cam wouldn't work and would pretty rapidly damage the cam followers....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Right..one for the scrap bin ......or maybe on fleabay, if I call it a Goldstar race-cam, someone will bite

email (option): petercomley@web.de

A few of the spare cams I have, have discolored/blued teeth. A bit like the left one on Pete's picture but some are worse. I assume they have become hot during running but wondering if they can still be used or best avoided ?

Regards, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Hi Michiel...The discolouration is caused by the method used to harden the teeth...'induction' hardening. The cams are placed in a strong alternating magnetic field which induces current to flow through the material. This causes heating of the surface layer of the material..Quenching then produces a hard surface...This method was used to restrict the increased hardness to only the surface of the gear teeth, so that they still retained a softer, less brittle and more resilient core....
This discolouration is present on most NOS cams, though oddly, not all cams. Maybe different methods were used at different times as the technology became commonplace for this particular application in the 40's and 50's....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian, very clear and logic.

Nieuwe pagina 1