I presume its not BSA?

What make is it?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Forum picture - tool box

Royal Enfield?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

It's indeed Royal Enfield. I put it there because of the padlock, nice isn't it?

I have some more of these toolbox images and they are all about the same with a few differences. BSA doesn't show a padlock for instance.

Here a BSA toolbox with Constants.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

It's certainly interesting to see that the chain is joined with a shackle to the padlock body. Difficult to find I imagine as it would have been little use for most purposes when disposed of, unlike a straightforward lock.

Is the insulating tape in a tin ? (I want one !)

What is the date of the book that picture came off?

Jan is the person to ask about the RE image.

i don't think those dunlop tins are very rare...i came across a couple on ebay in the past but didn't find them interesting to be honest. the padlock has no keyhole cover so it 'might' be late (?). then again, if it is late, did dunlop still afford to waste all that money on the complicated tin for insulating tape and pocket for the tyre gauge??? did you manage to get the pinson padlock Rik?

That's a good point about the lock, Clive. The toolbox looks to be gloss black - would that be a pre-war or post-war publicity / parts list photo ? The spare straps are leather which suggests early to me. The leather cover on the pressure gauge looks pre-war too.

On the other hand, if any lock needed a weather cover, it would be one fixed to a motorcycle chain.

I do have the impression that tools and equipment supplied by the motorcycle manufacturer were not WD stamped and were not always identical to the WD generic part. Could it be that if RE supplied a lock and chain, it was not WD marked and it was produced as cheaply as possible, perhaps omitting details that were present on WD stock items. (I don't wish to sound unkind but it is evident from their frame and fork problems that The Enfield Cycle Company were not averse to skimping on specifications and materials...)

Nieuwe pagina 1